Oyster Field Study

AIN’T NOTHING BUT AN OYSTER PARTY

Insights from Bodega Bay, Taylor Shellfish Farm, and Donedei Winery

Written By: Madeline Cavanaugh 

Edited By: Madeline Cavanaugh

During our trip to California we went to Bodega Bay and got to sample two different types of oysters. One was larger, while the other was very small. The small one was a kumomoto oyster and the larger one was a pacific. Until this point I had never realized how diverse the taste of oysters could be. Trying the larger oyster first I quickly slurped the brine and made an effort to slide the oyster down my throat without letting it sit on my taste buds for too long in fear of the saltiness being too much for me to handle. I was not wrong, as the oyster made a slow departure from the shell to my stomach I could not help but slam my eyes shut and scrunch up my face in order to comprehend the salty brine and squishy texture terrorizing my mouth. I then reached for the second of the oysters which was the kumomoto. I mentally prepared myself for an equally as brutal experience, but to my surprise as I tilted the shell up to my lips and felt the brine hit my tongue I was intrigues by a sweet flavor which coated my tongue. I took the recommended couple chomps of my jaw to truly savor the tasting experience and was met by a buttery taste and texture that I found quite delightful. I had actually enjoyed the taste. My favorite insight I gathered from this experience was the undeniable flavor differences in these two oysters, which I had once believed all tasted the same. I undoubtedly grasped the meaning of merroir in that moment.

At Taylor Shellfish Farm we also did a tasting of multiple oysters. Unlike my Bodega Bay experience, I was unable to make clear distinctions between the oysters regarding their taste or texture. The size was the only comparable differences I picked up on. The real insight I gathered at the shellfish farm was the amount of shellfish they farmed. I sat in awe watching tables filled almost to the roof tops with oyster upon oyster. 10 men were non-stop shucking at speeds I didn’t know were capable by human hands. I watched as crates were stacked on each other with even more oysters in them. I was completely and amazed when I walked into the freezer and was instantaneously overwhelmed by the amount of shellfish and how high it was stacked. My mind was immediately blown knowing that this was just one farm, the scale of how many oysters there were instantly amazed me, that was my main insight at the shellfish farm.

The Donedei Winery taught me a lot about pairing. When we drank the white wine with oysters I realized how the dryness from the wine complimented the Oyster’s saltiness. I tried pairing the red wine with the oyster’s as well. To my surprise I was less than impressed and did not like the combination. That is when I had the realization that parings really are important. If two things do not complement each other or mesh well it will leave a bad tasting experience in your mind that you will associate with both products. My mouth now waters at the mere thought of a good white wine and oyster combinations, while cringing at the idea of a red wine oyster paring.

Memorable Oyster Tasting

Written By: Madeline Cavanaugh

Edited By: Madeline Cavanaugh 

I remember sitting by my uncle next to an open campfire under the night sky. I was staring straight up into the stars, imaging that each one was plant like our own. I had the thought that maybe all these stars were planets just mimicking each other. Although the universe may be huge, it holds no differences. During this thought process I was quickly snapped out of my own thoughts as I heard a sizzle coming from the open flame, it was quickly followed by a large pop. I averted my gaze to the flames and laid my eyes on a popped open oyster that had been cooking. One by one the oysters started to pop. I could smell the smokiness from the fire mixed with the delectable smell of garlic butter being heated into a liquid on a pot beside the oysters. My mouth began to water as my uncle had an oyster in his hand out stretched to me. I grabbed it up with wonder in my mind. My same curiosity I held for the stars was focused on this oyster. I quickly spooned a copious amount of butter onto the shell to accompany the oyster as I tasted it. At this point I had made contact with the oyster as it smothered my taste buds. The garlic butter mixed with the saltiness of the brine combined with the smoky flavor from the fire made it the most memorable oyster tasting I have ever experienced. I to this day associate oysters with that night in the woods. The unique texture is one reason I will never forget my first oyster taste. The chewy feel of the muscles mixed with the spongy feel of the stomach was unlike any food I had tasted at this point in my life.