Taste differences in terroir?

As tea has spread globally, this drink has in many tangible ways lost its authenticity and connection to a taste of place. Approaching a tea tasting constituted a full envelopment my nasal cavities and flushed my mouth and olfactory senses with floral and earth tones among many, but none of which I could find many specific differentiations from unfortunately. Although some of this experience was inhibited by my developing palate, an overall uniformity was usually what I felt I tasted foremost. However, much like many terroir laden foods, the culture of where it is brewed and how we choose to consume it is what formed an image of place to me- whether in an open, bustling farmer’s market at Cabrillo College listening to the expertise and passion of the vendors while attempting to distinguish the smell of the tea to local seafood and dairy, or the tranquility of a cozy brew in the comfort of my dorm room, breathing in the fresh leaves of Douglas fir and the tea in harmony,  each environment created it’s own memory and personal connection to a place.

You may also like...