I have been attended Evergreen for the past two quarters (Winter and Spring). I’m taking a break this Summer so I can work (Front Desk of Admissions and Student Ambassador at Evergreen) and Volunteer (the Dept of Clinical Investigation at Madigan Army Hospital.) The programs I took were Counting on the Brain (Neurobiology and Algebraic Thinking for Science) and Digging Up Diseases (Epidemiology, Pathology, and Archaeology).

My plan is to be a medical examiner which requires an M.D. So volunteering at the research lab at Madigan is going to really help out for my applications to med school. I am mostly observing surgery residents practicing techniques that help out the lab, and doing small work that can be accomplished by someone with a small amount of knowledge (ie.. micropippetting, delivering paperwork..etc.)

What I appreciate is that even though I have only attended two quarters at Evergreen, I have been able to use my knowledge to understand what the doctors are talking about. Even though my understanding is basic, I can follow along when they talk about diffusion, denaturing, RNA/DNA, etc…

The surgery residents have been great and told me I can shadow them any time. I have been told I will be able to witness an autopsy eventually and next week I will observe them preparing a placenta for dissection.

I have had two different faculty members say they can help me try to get an internship at the Thurston County Coroner’s Office where a former student works. Turns out, they were talking about the same student!

It has been great having the support I need to advance not only from faculty members but from my office of employment. They have been great in being flexible with my schedule so I can achieve my goals.

Next year I plan on taking Integrated Natural Sciences, a year long program that will include general chemistry with lab, general biology with lab, and geology. This will prepare me to then take Molecule to Organism, an Upper Division year long program with biochemistry and organic chemistry. In the meantime, the QuaSr (Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning Center) is offering a free online pre calculus course which offers no credit but will help keep my brain fresh this summer.