The Beautiful Country

• I’ve noticed that Binh doesn’t look people in the face, almost always the shoes. They mention it in the movie, but I feel like there might be more to it. Maybe having something to do w/ how he’s been treated all his life.
    • Sidenote: noticeable differences in class when looking at feet
      • Nice shoes vs. no shoes
  • Bui doi= less than dirt= Americans
  • White savior behavior w/ ship’s captain
    • somewhat nicer to Binh and offered him a job and new life
    • also probably had something to do with Binh being half white.
  • Another thing I noticed when looking up the movie is that the cover for it is weird.
    • Image result
    • I think it’s weird that the main character is considerably smaller than the other characters, who had less screen time than him.
    • The two white characters weren’t in the movie for even half of it, yet they fill up more of the picture than the Binh
    • The Asian woman (Ling) is not only smaller than the two white characters and bigger than the Binh, but she is also super sexualized in this image
  • Difference between meeting his mom vs. his dad
    • Mom runs up to see him, bursts into tears, hugs him tightly, promises to talk after she’s done with work, and visibly forces herself to go back to work
      • Also starts crying harder when she looks at his hands, which I think is because his hands are rough from work, something I don’t think she wanted for him.
    • Dad walks past him. Also, doesn’t react a whole lot when he asks Binh why he’s there in Texas.
  • Tam’s death= loss of innocence
  • Ling able to adapt to the U.S. really well
    • in the diner, Ling had a huge plate of fries while Binh had a small plate of vegetables.
  • Binh is starving for the whole journey, then when he gets to the U.S. and gets a job, it immediately shows him throwing leftover restaurant food into the trash