Initial Project Thoughts

I’m still in the process of working out what my idea of “home” truly is. So far I think the closest thing I can think of to what home is for me is my childhood and growing up. It seems like sort of a broad concept, but I’m thinking I can study different portrayals of adolescence through the lens of Asian American/Pacific Islanders via different media such as films, short stories and novels.

I think as far as the creative side of this project is concerned the concept of childhood could generate a lot of narrative possibilities. I’m just afraid that it is too broad that I’ll get sort of lost while trying to portray it, especially while trying to present it alongside through the lens of APIA pop culture. But, I would be interested in seeing if there are significant intersections between my experiences during adolescence and Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, even though that is not a group that I belong to.

At the very least I’ll try to tighten this up with some specific examples of portrayals in pop culture of APIA adolescence and start drawing connections between my experiences and theirs, and maybe try to focus on one aspect or medium within pop culture.