Final Paper

So I’ve written most of my paper, it’s all over the place though, the last few days of me writing the paper will be me organizing things. The exercise we did in class on Wednesday was actually really helpful, being able to just write things down, take the paper apart, put it back together. Normally I just use a notepad on the computer and just type things out but it’s hard to just put notes in the paper when you’re on the computer. I don’t know, guess it’s just a new way to approach working on papers. Honestly writing papers is really new to me, I know I wrote papers in High school but they weren’t really held to very high expectations, and you don’t really get great feedback in High School when it comes to writing.

While doing this research, much like taking this class, I learned a lot. About myself and the culture we live in. Computer Science has always had a lot of stereotypes, inside and outside of the industry. Outside of the industry, it’s a very common stereotype to assume that if you’re Asian, you’d be good at computer science, and otherwise not, or you’re assumed to be a computer geek or are just a nerd in general and in bad shape. Inside the industry, it’s not a lot different, unfortunately. It’s common for people to be looked at just on the surface, if you look like you’re good at programming, you might get an unfair edge against someone who doesn’t look like they’re good at programming, technical privilege. Now I admit this is totally a possibility and I know it does happen. But from my experience, and I have had to interview people and played a large role in who gets hired for certain programming positions at my previous job, I can tell you first hand that not everyone does this. I’ve had to interview plenty of people and I hire people based off of their displayed abilities and if I think they can work well with a team.

But overall this paper was really fun to write, learning how to write papers, how to use the references, formatting, it’s all been a good refresher to me.