Nicholas Galanin: Wednesday October 13, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm, Lecture Hall 1

Nicholas Galanin (b. 1979)

Tlingit/Aleut/ Multi-Disciplinary Artist

Born in Sitka, Alaska, Nicholas Galanin has struck an intriguing balance between his origins and the course of his practice. Having trained extensively in ‘traditional’ as well as ‘contemporary’ approaches to art, he pursues them both in parallel paths. His stunning bodies of work simultaneously preserve his culture and explore new perceptual territory.

Artist Statement 2010

I work with concepts, the medium follows.  In the business of this “Indian Art World” I have become impatient with the institutional prescription and its monolithic attempt to define culture as it unfolds.  Native American Art can not be commonly defined as our work moves freely through time.  The viewer, collector, or curators’ definition will often convey more about themselves than that of the “Native Artist”.  In the past I have struggled with this title, though I now embrace my position as a contemporary indigenous artist with belief that some forms of resistance often carry equal amounts of persistence.  My current collection of work presents visual experiences in hope of inspiring creative dialogue with the viewer.  I work with an intention to contribute towards contemporary cultural development.  Through education and creative risk taking I hope to progress cultural awareness both in and out of this Indigenous world.

His work is in the current exhibition, It’s Complicated – Art about Home at the Evergreen Gallery.

This entry was posted in 2010-11. Bookmark the permalink.