Am I Home?

It’s funny how the sound of powerful waves crashing against rocks is both the most intimidating and comforting sound known to me. Visiting the ocean is always so humbling for me; and now, traveling alone along the coast of a foreign country is no different. Being at the ocean has made me feel strangely at home, 5,000 miles away from home. Beach-combing for little heart rocks brings my mom right next to me, reading Siddhartha is no different than an average summer evening having a conversation with my dad by the river, and skipping through the glittery waves transports me to being 7 years-old skipping along the Washington coast.  It’s strange to feel so at home here. But I’ve come to realize that this little blue backpack I carry everywhere has become as much of a home to me as the little white house in Leavenworth that I grew up in for 16 years is. Home sweet home.
I’m met with solitude once again, but for the first time on this camino. After a month of walking with classmates I was itching for some time on my own. Yesterday was my second day on my own. I left the city of Aviles and got lost in the familiar rhythm of walking until a few miles in when I stopped for coffee. I decided to check on the map where I was and learned that I was far from the Camino. Luckily, thanks to living in the age of technology, I was able to Google maps the little beach town I wanted to sleep in and I followed that the rest of the afternoon. As I was walking along the road, I took a detour down a gravel road for a pee break. A little bit down this road I saw another little trail leading to a small shack and I followed my curiosity down the trail. To my surprise I stumbled upon two heartbroken and neglected dogs. Their toenails were long and curled over, the ground was covered in poop and the one water bowl inside was mucky and filled with hair. I could see infected sores on one’s belly and so much sadness in their eyes. I broke down at the sight of them and started crying right in front of their cage. I knew there was absolutely nothing I could do which was almost the worst part. I spent the next few miles trying to understand why I have been so lucky in this life, but others have been dealt so much pain. I never came to a conclusion.

One thought on “Am I Home?”

1. Wow, Fern, I’ve so enjoyed reading along ‘the way’ on your adventure. I’m walking along with you—in my dreams, ha!
    So heartbroken with you about the dogs. In a bit of a rage over it. I know why you cried.
    Thank you for taking time to describe not only the scenery, but also your unique insights, and feelings about what you see. Big hugs, and all the best from Western WA. Love, Bon