Learning How Young I am

As a 19 year-old it’s been easy to be excited about how “old” I am these last couple years. Moving away from home for the first time this fall made me feel like I was launched into adulthood…. And yet it seems that the older I get, the more I learn, the more people meet, and the more experiences I have the younger and more naive I feel. I have been learning that being an “adult” means much more than my preconceived idea of knowing how to cook pasta and remembering to do your taxes. The last week I have been walking with people aged 21, 22, 24, and 26. For most of our days’ conversation I didn’t feel any younger or different than the rest of them, but sometimes politics or careers would be brought up. Although I consider myself to be an informed, active young person I could tell that my age actually made a difference sometimes. I realized that I am still trying to figure out who I even am outside of my parents’ nest. It became apparent to me that my political views were mostly just myself blindly following the people around me without really dissecting an issue. As I listened to the educated adults around me discuss these subjects I could see how they all had reasons for believing the way that they did. And with time, I will as well.