Erik Drews

SOS ComAlt

Updated ILC Description

Beer Brewing and Mushroom Growth

This quarter my goal was to explore and experiment with the use of grains in beer and how to achieve different flavors with different grain combinations. Simultaneously, I tried to expand mycelium onto the spent grains from the brewing to get an idea of how to grow mushrooms as a means of recycling spent grains. Each week I made a different type of beer, set aside the spent grains, then pasteurized, and inoculated them while documenting their growth rates. During week 7, I shifted from brewing on a small home scale to working with the owner of Cascadia Homebrew (Chris Emerson) brewing on a larger, (but still small) commercial level. Also during week 7 I stopped inoculating grains and attempted to get the mushrooms to fruit. Through this process, I have learned how to utilize malted grains in brewing more efficiently with a far better idea of how to tailor a beer to have a specific flavor profile. This learning was achieved through gaining a better understanding of the enzymatic properties of malted grains and water chemistry. From the work that I did with the Oyster and shiitake mushrooms, I have learned proper pasteurization and sterilization techniques, inoculation methods and fruiting conditions. This learning was achieved mainly through independent work and research while directing questions to Noelle Machnicki. (a mycology professor at Evergreen).