We were all little eggs once

For our classes very first tasting lab with Annie we ate

A standard boiled egg

Boiled egg with salt

Marbled Eggs

Eggs boiled with radishes

And Salmon Roe

Annie had us taste each egg first, taking note of its appearance, the taste, and any other sensations that may have risen.

We did two rounds of this eating and reflecting and  there was one major difference.

The first time we simply ate the food.

The second time Annie shared stories with us, one for each egg. Some stories were about what city the eggs were laid in, some were about how they were prepared, and some stories were about the conditions of the chickens or how the salmon eggs are “harvested” from the female salmon.

Fig-6-salmon-female-mature-JW-_small

Its interesting to me, even now as I type this emotions are rising about the salmon. Even weeks after this tasting (this tasting was week one, and now we are in week eight) I am still finding knots being formed in my throat as a few tears make their way down my cheeks.

To say the least, eating after hearing the stories was a very different experience for me. I felt joy when I ate the traditional boiled egg, remembering the story that was shared about how women would carry on their moms recipe and how this tradition has been in the family for generations. I remember feeling ancient when enjoying the marbled eggs, imaging what it must have been like to celebrate the new year while eating these delicious and savory eggs that were boiled in black tea-they were definitely my favorite.

Image Source:

Chinese Tea Eggs, revamped!