Is this what being an adult feels like? Meetings after meetings day after day have left me feeling tired, but also like I have learned a lot this week.

Readings:

Unlike that past few weeks, this week I have dedicated only about 5 or 6 hours to traditional research, so I suppose I will start there.

Remember how last week I said that there were only three peer reviewed studies measuring food insecurity on college campus? Right, well turns out there are a couple more.

The three additional studies indicated what I had anticipated. A food insecurity rate among college students significantly higher than the national household average:

Out of 209 college freshmen, 37% claimed to be food insecure in the previous three months. (Bruening, et.al 2016: n.p.)

Out of 1,882 students from various public Illinois universities, 35% were food insecure. (Morris, et.al 2016: n.p.)

Out of 441 non-freshmen students at University of Hawai’i at Manoa, 21% reported that they were food insecure. (Chaparro, et.al 2009: 2099)

"Big Reader" by Alec Dunn found on Justseeds

“Big Reader” by Alec Dunn found on Justseeds

This week was the first time I encountered  the case in which a book I chose to read wasn’t incredibly helpful in broadening my background or direct knowledge about food insecurity. However, in Chapter 3 of Alimentary Tracts entitled “Dearth,”  I did find some parallels between the history of famine in India and the currently growing issue of food insecurity in America.

“Sen’s argument that famines, at least in the modern period, are caused not by shortfalls in production or the lack of the transportation that would enable the easy movement of foodstuffs but by powerful social inequalities that he describes as class- and gender-stratified ‘entitlements’.” (Roy 2010: 125)

Meetings:

Where I lacked in traditional research this week, I certainly made up for in meetings. Here is a chronilogical run through of every task-force, working group, and hearing I managed to insert myself into this past week.

South Sound Food Systems Network Meeting:

On Wednesday morning I attended the SSFSN meeting. If you’re wondering what exactly that is, for one, Aslan Meade is the co-chair, along with the director of GRuB. Secondly, imagine The Evergreen Food Systems Working Group on a regional scale.

It was a “who’s who” meeting of the South Sound Food System players. Ranging from social service organizations, to local farmers, every facet and perspective you could wish for from the local food system was present.

UnknownWe discussed further work moving forward with the local food educational campaign, and the beginning steps to plan the South Sound Food Summit in November. The messaging and fundraising WITs (Working Issue Teams) reported back to the larger group their progress – which, for both, was fairly little, I must admit. 

In true Natasha fashion, I signed up to continue work on the messaging WIT, soon to be marketing WIT. Once the marketing begins I will be using my lovely classmates, as well as other students, as subjects for the marketing intercept survey (like a focus group, but less time/resource intensive) in order to add a student voice to the wholesome community of South Sound eaters, of whom we intend to include in this educational campaign.. Get ready to answer some questions!

Public Committee Hearing for H.B. 1542:

Last week I mentioned that H.B. 1569, “an act relating to requiring the department of social and health services to request all necessary exemptions and waivers from the federal government to allow students to use electronic benefit transfer cards at institutions of higher education,” was having a public committee hearing this week – a bill I clearly care a lot about passing. So when Aslan brought up the hearing for H.B. 1542 concerning dropout prevention through engaging youth in farming on Thursday morning, I figured I would attend as a sort of introduction to the Washington Legislative process.

Human Services Workgroup Meeting:
"We need a different solution" by Kevin Caplicki, found on Justseeds

“We need a different solution” by Kevin Caplicki, found on Justseeds

Say hello to the newest member of Evergreen’s Human Services Workgroup! After reaching out to Casey Lalonde from the Campus Childcare Center, she very graciously invited me to attend her working group focused on addressing homelessness and hunger on campus. A group mostly consisting of campus staff in relevant departments, (CCBLA, Financial Aid office, etc.) I was surprised by how much information I could contribute in a meaningful way. In fact, attending this meeting was the first time during my ILC that I really felt like I was a force of communication and connection for the mutli-facetted food system on campus.

Public Committee Hearing for H.B. 1569:

After dually noting the testimony at the hearing for H.B. 1542, I did my best to draft up my very own testimony for the hearing for H.B. 1569 that was scheduled for Friday morning. I was nervous all night on Thursday, only to be informed by a lobbyist friend that the hearing for this bill had been rescheduled last minute for the 7th – the following Tuesday. Of course, that is the one day a week I can’t shift my schedule to accomidate this sudden change in schedule, however, I will absolutely send my written testimony in even though I cannot be in attendence. It is still currently a work in process, but if you’d like to read it, you can do so here.

Food Advisory Committee Meeting:

Because my Friday morning was suddenly freed up, I had the chance to attend the Food Advisory Committee Meeting in the Greenery. Along with getting important updates from the retail managers, Aramark and RAD staff regarding food facilities on campus, I was informed that the year after next, RAD and Aramark are looking to shift meal plan options to include an “unlimited” plan. Whether this would be more affordable or have a better value than the current options was not quite clear, but either way I think more choices are always good.

Moving Forward:

It is getting closer and closer to the Washington Higher Education Sustainability Conference! (Or, less laboriously referred to as WAHESC.) As that is fast approaching, Poz, Annie, and I continue to finalize our presentation material. Our presentation summary is as follows:

“We will outline and discuss efforts to reform campus food purchasing in accordance with the Real Food Challenge, a national movement that aims to shift millions of dollars away from corporations and toward producers that nourish consumers, communities, and the earth. We will also cover the current legislative bills that will impact the lives of all who eat in higher education.”

Thanks for allowing me to keep you all updated! Until next week.