Linsey and Doug made this week’s meal which was dressed local greens and southern cornbread, not corn cake.

Linsey’s meal was heartfelt. She mentioned the origin of the recipe and her difficulty trying to learn from her mother who has just known what to throw together to make the cornbread for she had been making it for so long. Doug’s salad made me rethink how I went about making a salad. I had never thought about the tasteful mix of bitters and staple greens until the vinaigrette and pine nuts brought out the contrast. Doug asked the question that all of us don’t want to think about – Do you consider yourself a locavore? Several people in the room raised their hands and slowly one by one we had to wake up and smell the flowers. In that circle I knew everyone intentionally tried to eat with little impact. We are a food studies class! I had to smile when I thought about my love for avocado and rather than thinking how I could replace it in my diet I thought of where I could move to that would support my food cravings. During this process I reflected on how my lack of understanding of mixing a salad already provided an example for myself of how I should learn to enjoy the most from what my local environment provides before I endeavor to change my environment to adapt to my needs. Even though Oregon is the only thing between me eating local avocados, it was important for me to remember a greenhouse can always be built if my love for avocados survives my transition to being a true locavore.