This quarter, I’m doing an Independent Learning Contract (ILC).

This type of study is one of the first things that grabbed my attention about Evergreen.

I have the ability to create my own curriculum about essentially anything I’m passionate in? Building bridges between passions and subjects that are normally separated like water and oil?

Now that I’m in my third and final year, I’m finally here, at the fork in the road where I’ve chosen the ILC path.

This is both challenging and exciting. As preliminary steps, I had to identify possible faculty sponsors, because without a faculty to support your curriculum, it can’t be approved.

Next, I had to write my own curriculum, including a schedule/syllabus.

As tedious as this process was, it was also really exciting. The programs offered at Evergreen have expanded my educational horizon greatly, however this is my attempt at a last “hoorah” before I walk the stage in Spring.

I’m doing my ILC on being multiracial/ethnic and how this intersects with my other identities. I chose my entire book list and I’ve also committed to journaling every day and finishing a piece of creative writing each week.

So far, I’ve run into a couple of challenges. Time managing and balancing how much work I do each day in conjunction with work and social life is definitely a learning experience. And as much as I love complaining about getting up early for class, I surprisingly miss being in the classroom a lot. I didn’t realize how much of a privilege it is to have the space to discuss what we learn each week, bouncing ideas off of one another and wading through a lot of deep material together.

This is also why I added into my contract some engagement with the community by starting a club on campus, focusing on giving an open and safe space for “mixed kids” to share and learn from each other.

It’s only Week 2, so I have hope that my studies will only continue to go up hill from here. And alongside the difficulties are the rewards.

I’m learning way more about myself and my identities. Integrating this self work into my academic studies has been beneficial in the way that making time for one is making time for both. I’ve also been relishing in the increased creative work, since so much of my studies recently have been focusing on analysis and theory. And as Week 2 comes to an end, I’m also being reminded that I have to take it easy from time to time. I tend to take on thousands of things at once, but having a curriculum that’s self guided is allowing me to be more mindful about where I put my energy.

In all, I’m excited for what this quarter has to offer.