Dow AgroSciences has positions available for students seeking summer internship opportunities. These opportunities are full-time positions available from May until August. Applicable majors would include:
- Biology (biochemistry, biotechnology, cell biology, entomology, microbiology, molecular biology, plant pathology, or plant physiology)
- Chemistry (analytical, organic, or physical)
- Informatics (bioinformatics or chemical)
- Any agriculture-related majors
R&D opportunities include both laboratory-based and field station research positions. Positions for R&D field station research are located throughout the US whereas the laboratory-based R&D positions are located at our headquarters in Indianapolis, IN.
Research and Development: The R&D intern program provides an opportunity for students to work closely with a senior scientist in order to improve technical skills while being given a developmental opportunity in an industrial setting. It is desirable that the intern have past practical experience in handling chemicals, operating laboratory equipment, generating and manipulating data, as well as computer database and word-processing skills. Interns are encouraged to be creative and take initiative, where appropriate, and will be granted significant latitude for discretionary decisions and independence of action within guidelines established by their supervisor. Interns are expected to always operate in a safe and efficient manner.
Qualified interns should be pursuing a BS or MS degree in biology, chemistry, informatics, or closely related majors. Students having completed at least their junior year are preferred. A chemistry intern candidate having a working knowledge of organic synthesis and/or experience with modern chromatographic techniques is highly desirable. For a biology intern, it would be advantageous to have a working knowledge of their area of study. Interns will be part of a team responsible for the development of novel agricultural products. Good interpersonal, communication, organizational, teamwork and time management skills are essential.
- Review and research project background and status with mentor
- Become proficient in laboratory and/or greenhouse experiments or biochemical assays to characterize experimental, developmental, and commercial herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and products of biotechnology
- Participate in all phases of research including planning, preparation, calibration, application, evaluation, data analysis, maintenance, and when necessary, appropriate disposal.
- Design and conduct experiments, with mentorship guidance, within a defined project
- Make novel observations
- Collect and interpret data
- Draw sound scientific conclusions based on data analysis. The results of these studies, and the conclusions generated, will impact research plans and advancement decisions on the experimental materials.
- Present project reviews before colleagues and peers
To apply for an R&D internship at Dow AgroSciences, please submit a cover letter detailing your interest in an internship and any relevant research experience, and a resume with a current GPA. Be sure to specify your preference for R&D laboratory-based positions or field R&D positions. Resumes are accepted beginning in October for the following year’s internships, until December 31st. Resumes and cover letters should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.