The Puntacana Ecological Foundation is currently accepting applications for mid to long term internship positions to help with their Partnerships for Ecologically Sustainable Coastal Areas (PESCA) programs. The selected candidate(s) will be collaborating on a daily basis with the project coordinator to prepare and establish Acropora cervicornis outplant sites (amongst other things) utilizing resources from the Punta Cana coral nursery. Candidates will be working on a variable but full-time basis determined by the intern?s direct supervisor. The candidate is expected to work outside normal established hours, participate in night diving and on other unscheduled events depending on the needs of the PESCA program.
II. Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with the Project Coordinator to prepare and establish *A. cervicornis* outplant sites along the Punta Cana reef area and neighboring communities.
2. Assist the Project Coordinator in activities related to the maintenance and upkeep of the coral gardens in the Dominican Republic.
3. Participate in, lead, or implement environmental education courses, workshops, and/or training activities related to the PESCA program
4. Care for and provide basic maintenance to project equipment.
5. Work with other volunteers or interns to achieve the goals of the coral restoration Project.
6. Commit to seeing the internship completed.
7. Interact and work well with other staff and personnel.
We are looking for candidates that are highly motivated and interested in the preservation, conservation and restoration of coastal marine resources. A bachelor?s in one of the following areas is preferred: biology, ecology, marine biology, environmental studies, or other similar careers.
The ideal candidate would have experience in the marine ecosystems of the Dominican Republic and previous experience with Acropora corals and restoration. Applying candidates must know how to swim and possesses a scuba certification. Rescue diver or advance diver certification is preferred. Applicants must have the ability to work under strenuous and adverse conditions including working with currents, waves, poor visibility, long dive times and continuous back to back diving days. The applicant must
be able to work efficiently, problem solve, adapt to changing situations and work independently under minimal supervision. Interns must complete assigned tasks on time and with quality; must be punctual and represent the best interest of the institution. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is required. Previous coral restoration experience is highly advantageous.
Advance Spanish minimum
The length of the internship is negotiable but a minimum of 4 months is required. Any compensation or benefits are dependent on the location of the internship and available funding. Interns are not illegible to receive the same benefits as full-time staff. No vacation is awarded but days off can be flexible. Start time: at the latest January 6, 2013.
d) Compensation and Benefits:
Punta Cana Field Site only (all other sites will be provided at a later time)
* On-site dorm stile lodging, which has electricity and running water 24 hours.
* A small stipend (depending on the qualifications of the candidate, the length of the internship, and the AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS) to help cover food and other expenses.
* The option of checking out a bicycle for local transport
* Office space
* At least 6 days off a month (No vacation is contemplated for this internship)
A typical day in this internship could be:
1-2 dives in the morning to locate potential outplanting/restoration sites followed by site preparation dives in the afternoon. Occasionally, both mornings and afternoons will be dedicated to diving related activities. Dominican students/professionals are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested Candidates please send your resume with a brief letter of intent to one of the following emails no later than Nov 22, 2013:
Puntacana Ecological Foundation
Att: Coral Restoration Internships
Please note that only candidates that made it to the short list will be contacted. We estimate that candidates will be selected from this short list no later than December 10, 2013.