Climbing Ranger Volunteer Internship ~ Winthrop, WA
About the position: We are seeking one enthusiastic climber to join our Climbing Ranger program for the summer of 2019 in the North Cascades of Washington. The region includes the Washington Pass area, as well as several local crags such as Fun Rock and the Matrix near Mazama, Washington.
Season of work: June to September (flexible). Approximately 40 hrs per week. This is a resource protection based program, search and rescue duties will NOT be performed.
Volunteer Climbing Ranger Duties
• Conduct climbing patrols providing visitor information and education addressing Leave No Trace principals as they apply to climbing.
• Data collection and monitoring including visitor use, trail inventory and GPS.
• Assist in trail maintenance and reconstruction projects, and conduct trail surveys for access routes to crags.
• Perform ecological restoration, re-vegetation, and site naturalization.
• Bunkhouse housing will be provided for volunteers (free!)
• Food per-diem ($25/day) for each day that you work
• Professional development and experience in a Federal Land Management Agency
• Opportunities to work with various organizations including the Access Fund and local climbing groups to improve the climbing experience in the region.
• Effective communicator, great attitude and passion for sustainable climbing.
• Must have experience traditional climbing, knowledge of building anchors with traditional protection, rappelling multi-pitch climbs, and alpine systems.
• The work requires walking and climbing in steep, uneven terrain, exposure to adverse weather and insects, performing physical labor, bending, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds or more.
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND REFERENCES BY APRIL 26, 2019 TO:
ZACHARY WINTERS: firstname.lastname@example.org