EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Part-Time
OPENS: May 17, 2019
CLOSES: May 31, 2019
SALARY RANGE: $12.00/hour
*NOTE: This is a temporary, part-time position, up to 20 hours per week, with no benefits.
Under the direction of assigned supervisor, the Planning Intern will be required to perform various office and field duties including: work related to permit process support; posting of notices; preparation of graphics and display materials; public assistance; and other work based on skills and qualifications.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
- Draft response letters for work hour variances, tree removals, and plat extensions.
- Put together public notice boards and posting them at designated sites, and preparing on-site posting boards for applicants.
- Collect files from the file library or from planners, at the request of a citizen for their review under the Public Disclosure Act (PDA).
- Scan large and small scale plans and documents for print or conversion to PDF’s or Word Documents for internal files.
- Prepare draft response letters for Community Development (CD) Director or Planning Manager signature approving simple land use requests, and insuring that such requests meet the Code (Process I and Accessory Dwelling Use).
- Prepare response to zoning inquiries on specific parcels of property.
- Aid the planning staff in answering public questions or requests regarding land use.
- Assist in the update of front-counter handouts aiding the public in providing answers to land use processes and questions.
- Assist in the completion of visual displays, such as power point, used in public presentations.
- Perform other related duties assigned or as qualified.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Currently pursuing or recently received an undergraduate or graduate degree in Planning, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Public Affairs, Political Science, or a closely related field. Strong writing skills, graphics, GIS, plus strong graphic computer skills are a plus.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Washington driver’s license is required.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications are available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, WA 98003, on our website at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530.
The City of Federal Way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.