Spring 2016 ILC

For my last quarter at Evergreen (!!!), I have chosen to do a full-time internship with Ibu Jen, the visual arts teacher at Green School Bali. These past few months we have been working together to develop classes where students are engaged in making their own art supplies from recycled & natural materials and using them to create works of art. Last quarter, I developed a lesson plan where students made zines out of ephemeral objects that conveyed important messages surrounding sustainability topics. This was just one of many ways to infuse sustainable concepts into an arts curriculum, which is precisely what I’ve set out to do!

This quarter, I want to take this one step further and establish a “Color Garden” next to the art studio where I will investigate what I’ve learned as a field journalist in the Terroir program. I will look at native plants that produce natural pigments and ways to use them to make art materials. This would pave way for an exciting, interdisciplinary class that combines environmental practices where students can learn about local plants and agriculture, entrepreneurial opportunities in this new field of “eco-art”,  cultural studies, and of course visual arts. I will work as both student teacher and eco-art/terroir field journalist, helping to develop a sustainable art studio for Green School while seeking new opportunities to teach what I’m learning. I will also develop my personal professional art portfolio using my discoveries in plant-based practices.

If that doesn’t keep me busy enough, I have taken on a secondary role as the Arts Coordinator for Sustainable Solutions, the end-of-year showcase at Green School. I will be curating a campus-wide art show of both student and local/expat creative works. Last year, over 600 people attended the event, so I’m sure I’ll have a lot to organize! Stay tuned for more info…

LEARNING OBJECTIVE ACTIVITIES

To gain experience working as a student aide in Middle and High School art classes with Ibu Jen through June 2016

– I will assist Ibu Jen in all art classes for Terms 3 and 4 at Green School.

– I will develop lesson plans for student projects as they arise.

-I will participate in the High School field trip to Sulawesi in May, where we will learn about indigenous artisan practices

To learn about the terroir of plants that produce natural dyes and pigments in Indonesia.

– I will investigate Indonesian plants that make pigment and document my learning.

– I will establish connections with the local and international community to support my research.

– I will use my research on local plants to establish a “Color Garden” next to the art studio at Green School.

– I will experiment with dyes and pigments and develop a recipe to make paints for future curriculum possibilities.

To develop an art portfolio using materials from plants in Indonesia. – I will make educational swatches and color charts from my discoveries in plant-based pigments.

-I will create works of art using the paints that I make from Indonesian plants.

-My work will be showcased at the Sustainable Solutions event at Green School in June.

Be First to Comment