Trade expanded from just the Pacific islands to beyond (thanks to the Spanish). And where people go, food follows. One of those was the mango. Many varieties were brought to Guam and contributed to a diverse collection. Although, recently the number of trees have been dwindling. This past year in particular, a storm blew through and knocked off many of the developing flowers that would have turned into fruit now. The result is a lower number of mangoes this season. However, it also results in a late bloom. So all the excitement for this season has been postponed.

The festival itself was exciting. Tour buses brought people from all over the world and service men and women from the military bases came out too. Locals of course came out to enjoy the fun. Carnival rides and bouncy-houses greeted the children. Local radio stations took turns MCing and contestants running for Miss World Guam came out and showcased their talents.

Local food vendors worked together to get you ready to eat. They tickled your noses with an array of smells. They excited your ears with pops of frying, crunches of ice, and yelling to one another for more food.

I went around and got full off the free samples alone. As I did, I heard countless conversations in different languages; English, Chamorro, Chuukese, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Russian, various dialects of Tagalog, and a handful of others I do not recognize.

All the vendors I came across were local. Started by the people of Guam and run by them too. Greeted by a “hafa adai” (hello) and a smile, conversations were meaningful and genuine.

It wasn’t before long that my family and I ran into a person we knew. A small conversation about how each of us was doing took place before we resumed to our day.

We got left after getting a bag full of mango, hutu, and some rosekette.