II: Crazy

April 6th, at 6pm. Shade is supplicated by buildings; the air is a slowly cooling 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The breeze smells like blueberry muffins; the light is even, hazy, diffused, neutral.

Earth flags adorn this block and an older man weaves through their posts, a shambling skeleton threatening to fall apart. You can hear the hollow innards rattle as he sways. Shuffling, he navigates the alleyways that connect and betray everything, a narrow behind-the-scenes. All these hands you think are gesturing to God are just asking a distracted stagehand to pull the curtains, for fuck’s sake, so they can get on with it. A life lived too long is like that– an awkward stage moment where nobody is quite sure if they’re supposed to applaud.

“I didn’t have a knife with me.”

You like how she says “a knife” rather than “my knife.” Her face, too, and her body, do not imply a knife: they imply rows of stockings in a mahogany drawer, silk sheets, an old pair of taped-up glasses, Sailor Moon fan art, lip balm. Her skirt’s cousin is hanging on a display rack for salvaged clothing that a bored employee has rattled onto the street. (Maybe she has a knife. She gets in her coupe and smokes a cigarette in it before she leaves.)

“and how it’s really all pedestrians’ fault, it’s totally fascinating”

“I am them” (a little kid. maybe she is)

You find yourself distrustful of shapes, of gestures, of kindness even, though everyone seems to have enough of that to spare, especially if you have money. Much in the way the upper-middle-class is distrustful and terrified of the homeless: see “the homeless” similar to “the gays”– if you break it down to “people without homes” and imbue a little humanity it’s an even sillier thing to fear– “Oh, I have a phobia of heights, what about you?” “Frankly, I’m terrified of people without homes.” As though because these people have no Place they are incapable of rendering meaning on the world around them– as though without Place they are meaningless themselves. Also, you read, from the turn of a nose, the copious use of hand sanitizer, they imply uncleanliness, mental instability. But everyone in your life is mentally unstable. Not that you’re looking for it, not that it makes you comfortable, but it finds you. It finds comfort in you.

“excuse me miss. my stomach really hurts- I just need something to settle it– yeah I was gonna try, I was gonna get this cream ale beer– I was just sitting down with my tattoo artist, I really need to get this tattoo done-“

This guy. His arms and gaze and posture. You think he’s probably drunk the heroin Kool-Aid. He cycles back around at weird angles every few blocks, ignoring crosswalks and cutting corners and emerging from doors to buildings that you’re certain he didn’t walk in to. He sits down in the parking lot across from you (thirty feet away from a man in a tailored suit standing in spot 13 and texting on his Blackberry) with a blanket, and a blank cardboard sign, talks to himself- and stretches. You hear the intention behind every word and get the urge to nod and say “yeah” every few minutes. You are not even real to him, you are a memory he made years ago.

His name is Waterdog.

yeah

You may also like...

4 Responses

1. mjajac25 says:

Ah what wonderful writing! A true showing as opposed to telling. “You think he’s probably drunk the heroin Kool-Aid. He cycles back around at weird angles every few blocks, ignoring crosswalks and cutting corners and emerging from doors to buildings that you’re certain he didn’t walk in to” reminiscent of beat-writings of the past. Thank you Adelle!

2. Adelle says:

Yo thanks! I’m a big fan of beat poetry and I always struggle to make my prose more neutral and less fanciful. Beat poetry is kinda the epitome of urban experience, no?

3. Eric says:

I was hooked at “blueberry muffins” through to the end; with the irony of the blank cardboard sign and blanket in a scene with a tailored suit and blackberry. Olympia truly has some unique scenes play out if you just sit back and observe. You truly drew me right to a downtown scene of Olympia.

4. Julia LeBano says:

–shit dude lol, this is really great stuff, you are not only doing a study of place, but almost of a study of human nature as well. You’re diction, style, everything—its great! keep pushing yourself to explore new ideas and stay creative. I can tell that you’re a talented writer and story teller–never let that skill go to waste!

“Frankly, I’m terrified of people without homes.”
    —this one really got me haha! It’s sounds ridiculous, because it is! I feel I’ve come to this conclusion many times as I sit as a bystander and witness the baffling ignorance (of what sadly starts to feel like) the general public. John and I were at Capitol Lake the other night sitting on a bench and witnessed two white dudes in their early 20’s jog quickly away from a couple, (who we’re mostly likely somewhat intoxicated and had no where to sleep) and when they jogged away (im sorry, like pussy-ass lil bitches tho) in an attempt to not feel completely emasculated, proceed to keep turning around and yelling ridiculous, and fucking awful childish things like ‘stupid whore’ ‘i bet you’re gonna get her real high and have lot’s of fun with her, budddy! huh huh huh!’ ‘stupid fucking tweakers right?! haha’ ‘what are you lookin at huh? what are you gonna do!? haha come on let’s get outta here.’ *spits* Naessig and I were in disbelief and filled with the rage of any person that’s felt oppressed and disrespected by another. But this wasn’t disrespect— ha! no fucking way they could get off that easy. Even if, they somehow, some way justified their actions towards, a person who doesn’t have a legal residence right now, that dared to interact or even be in their presence—any human worth talking to should recognize the intrinsic wrongness with this all too common interaction, this struggle for dominance: a flex of ignorance. These fleeting moments are not so fleeting at all and stick with a person longer than we may even come to realize. The factor of ignorance is sometimes debatable, but what I believe is that I got the sickening eerie feeling of witnessing a painfully tragic act of evil.
    Why did they choose this path? I’d say there was plenty of ignorance there, no doubt about that— but my point in all this is that I agree with you—the root of most evil is fear, and those boys ran like bitches.