An Interesting Bit of Local History

While reading Peter Bacho’s Dark Blue Suit I realized that references were being made to historical events in Seattle that I was not familiar with. I know this from my previous studies that Seattle has always had interesting history especially when it comes to the issue of civil rights and race relations. So I chose to look up some information about different events mentioned in the book. I found a website run by the University of Washington that specifically documents these issues, that is called the Seattle Civil Rights And Labor History Project. The site had a lot of really fascinating information about many of the events mentioned in Dark Blue Suit.

The page I spent the most time on was about the union that the main character Buddy describes his Father being a part of. The title of the page is “Filipino Cannery Unionism Across Three Generations 1930s-1980s”. This page had some very interesting information about the union that the Filipino workers created and I learned a lot about this truly fascinating labor organization. I am going to have to spend more time looking through this website and general, as I suspect it will help me better understand the history of the place where I live; something that is always been important to me.

Resources

Bacho, Peter. Dark Blue Suit. University of Washington Press,1997.

Gregory, James. “Filipino Cannery Unionism Across Three Generations 1930s-1980s”. Seattle Civil Rights And Labor History Project. University of Washington, 2004, http://depts.washington.edu/civilr/Cannery_intro.htm, 10/31/2017.