Academic Statement

Academic Statement –

I am a true Greener. When I started Evergreen I was not. Checking off boxes and fulfilling prerequisites in the pursuit of a stable income, career, and other aspects deemed normal on societal life. Here I come, environmental law school, to save the world or at least be a relevant and contributing member of society.

Then I heard about the Walking to Santiago program. I have always thought that travelling holds unique educational value and, with this in mind, I rationalized a spontaneous decision to study walking in a class where students hike across Spain. Study walking?

Yes, walking. A few months and 1200 kilometers later, I leave with a different view on a full and successful life. This new view doesn’t include memorization for the sole reason of advancing to the next set of required courses required for the next best job. I leave with a goal of obtaining life experiences by meeting people, cultures, languages, and perspectives. I

From walking, I have learned how to study life. I have shared experiences with others of grief, joy, excitement, and philosophy all through human connection. With this Greener mindset I look to walk away as a lifelong learner and contributing member to society.