Self Evaluation

You never expect a bug-eyed threatening psycho to be a daily worry on a spiritual journey. But after the first week of interactions with such a person, who was one of the first people I met on the Camino, and after hearing of his various assaults on people in this class, it became a valid concern.

I expected to have ample time to myself. Time to sift through my thoughts and life goals which are changing from ambitions for competitive graduate schools and desk jobs to the endless search for people and experiences and perhaps a more simple life. It’s a metamorphosis I thought needed to be done alone and independently.

But when a group of people from our class were understandably worried about walking alone, I ended up spending almost my entire Camino with them. We walked through rain and sun and over hills and coastlines. All with people I only vaguely new, some of whom I have little in common with.

This is not to say that they needed me and whatever sense of protection I may have provided, only that company was appreciated. The appreciation was mutual. In walking together we formed a friendship encompassing the mindset of no one left behind. We got to know each other and learned how to support each other.

In addition, and often in the company of my group of classmate friends, I have been immersed in a multicultural community of pilgrims. I walked with and befriended people from all over Europe and the world. Some who walk to form a sense of unification with other European members, some to overcome seemingly insurmountable grief, while others simply try and find themselves or a sense of adventure.

From all of these people and experiences, I have learned the importance and strength of community support and friendship.  It has taught me how to learn from people who are vastly different than, and has sparked my interest in lifelong learning, personal growth and change, most of which can be done with the help of others.