About My Internship

For the past five weeks, I have spent my Wednesdays and Fridays in the basement of an office space in Chinatown, working with Community Alliance for Global Justice, an organization that has consistently fought for effective and creative collaborative action against the injustices that exist within this country, and worldwide, since 1999.

CAGJ works to provide education by hosting workshops and guest speakers while providing communities with information regarding corporate globalization, existing alternatives, and resources for resisting. Through grassroots organizing, research, analysis, and media outreach CAGJ have remained an active part of the pacific northwest movement fighting for positive alternatives to corporate control in the current capitalist food system.

Being that CAGJ is largely volunteer run, my work as an intern has felt far from trivial (no coffee runs or daily trips to the copy machine).

In my work thus far I have:

• Drafted and sent e-mails to the Department of Ecology against genetically engineered salmon
  • Conducted research on genetically engineered salmon
  • Created a brief and conducted research on net-pen aquaculture
  • Done research on the significance of salmon to PNW tribes and compiled resources
  • Began outreach and helped publicize our March 11th wild salmon cookout
  • Started work for a CAGJ blog on genetically engineered salmon
  • Spreadsheet work and gathering contact information
  • Researched organizations and activists surrounding the issue of GE salmon

Though I have yet to post all of my internship work on this blog, stay tuned for posts regarding the issues I, and CAGJ are currently committed to fighting against.