Tea Workshop Week 6

With so many commodities like tea, coffee, and chocolate, it is tempting to indulge, without being conscious of the origins and histories of the items you are consuming. Though it can be difficult and overwhelming to attach a story to everything you consume, it can bring a sense of appreciation to the food otherwise lacking.

Last year, on a trip to San Francisco I visited a Chinatown tea shop and left with a tin of Pu-Erh, the tin sat forgotten about for months, but since the beginning of Kotomi’s tea tasting labs I have made it a ritual to sit in silence with the tea and myself, and make note of my own feelings, the impact of the tea on my state of mind, and the transformation of the tea through various steepings.

Type Of Tea

Pu-Erh Fully Oxidized

Appearance

Dried or Steeped

Flavor Notes Aroma

Dried or Steeped

Mood
“Raw”

Steeped: Buttery yellow, hints of amber, leaves very green Weedy, woody, deep, barnyard, mildly astringent, burnt Roasted rice, woody, mossy, tobacco, animal, clean horse Warm, relaxed energy, joy
“Cooked”

Fermented

Deep mahogany, opaque, balanced flavor and tongue coating Earthy sweetness Barnyard, soy sauce, rubber, boat Energizing but grounding