Tasting Lab: Bread and Butter

Our Bread and Butter tasting lab correlated with Chapter 4 of Racial Indigestion and Newmans chapters on dairy and bread. Annie brought two different styles of bread and we made our own butter from shaking a jar of whipping cream.

This was the first time I had ever made butter, and I found the experience to be rewarding both physically and mentally-I got a nice little arm work out and I knew exactly what this butter was made of. A few of us got a chance to put in the arm work for out butter, and I believe sharing the work made the experience more endearing.

Annie brought the grass of the wheat plant and we were able to eat the grass before we ate it in the form we are all so familiar with-bread. A lot of chewing is involved in ingesting wheat grass, but the smell is so pleasant and it felt like I got to know another aspect of this changeable and highly used plant. I felt like a cow by minute seven of chewing on the grass. And I must say, being forced to slow down and really taste what was in my mouth was extremely enjoyable, connecting, and humbling.