Sorrel: Get Hip and Forage

Sometimes, the side of the road is the best place to find edible plants.  I was on my way out of the wilderness going to Portland when I spotted a HUGE patch of Sorrel.  I quickly stopped and grabbed a paper bag to harvest.  Sorrel is abundant throughout Washington and Oregon as a ground cover in the temperate rainforests.  It is my favorite tangy trail snack.

Dinner!

I paired the Sorrel, also known as Oxalis Oregana, with my Mother’s homemade spanikopita.  The lemon apple notes of the Sorrel was a delight paired with the buttery spanikopita.   The leaves can also be mixed in a salad with other greens to add a tart character.  Sorrel is a great spring green to forage for and can also be transplanted into home gardens.  It does contain Oxalic acid which can cause stomach aches so don’t go too crazy.  I had no problems when I ate around 20 stems and leaves.

In hip restaurants in Portland, people pay big money to have their plates garnished with wild greens.  That’s fine, but it is so much sexier to harvest your own!

Sources:

• Deur, Douglas. Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 wild and flavorful edibles from Alaska blueberries to wild hazelnuts. Portland, Or.: Timber Press, 2014. Print.