Wild Ginger is Wild Medicine

Have a fever?  That’s your body’s intentional defense against hostile bacteria.  The bacteria that intends to invade your system is adapted to live at a normal body temperature, around 98 degrees Fahrenheit.  So if your body gets hot enough you can kill the invaders.  And have a miserable time… Ginger can help along a fever by making you sweat.  It encourages secretions and cleansing.

Wild Ginger Leaf

I am drying the velvety leaves of wild ginger in a paper bag to use as tea in the future.  With the roots, I cleaned, chopped, and set to soak in vodka to make a tincture.  The roots can also be used in recipes in the same way you would use store bought ginger that grows in tropical regions.

Wild Ginger Tincture
Wild Ginger Tincture

I harvested the leaves and roots carefully to insure future harvests.  I picked my handful of leaves from four separate patches.  Though some damage is unavoidable, while digging up the roots and the lateral rhizomes, I attempted not to kill the plant.  This looked like always leaving a few leaves left on a rhizome.

Sources:

• Moore, M. (2001). Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West. Santa Fe: Red Crane Books.
  • Deur, Douglas. Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 wild and flavorful edibles from Alaska blueberries to wild hazelnuts. Portland, Or.: Timber Press, 2014. Print.