Salimatou Pratt ’13: Putting Theory into Practice at the EPA

SalimatouPrattRead with Greener pride this blog post by Salimatou Pratt ’13, now an intern at the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington D.C. The post is published in Greenversations: The EPA’s blog about our world.

If you’re like me, talking about environmental issues is normal, especially around the dinner table with family and friends. Coming from Conakry, Guinea, and learning about how I may have been exposed to toxicity from local industries while growing up, has intensified my desire to be part of the bigger environmental discussion. Interning in EPA’s Office of Public Engagement has given me a unique perspective on how the agency connects with communities, both nationally and internationally. 

When I visited my family in Guinea two years ago, I paid attention to things I hadn’t thought about before, such as lead-based paint, pesticides, and contaminants in drinking water.  In my community, these are things that directly affect the homes we live in, the food we eat, and the water we drink. I have seen firsthand how the lack of oversight of these basic needs has taken a devastating toll on people, families and communities. While pursuing my liberal arts degree at The Evergreen State College, I’ve concentrated on environmental studies to learn more about health hazards, both here in the US and in my home country.

I constantly ask myself what I can do to help the most vulnerable people, like children, pregnant moms and seniors. The first step towards addressing these issues is to raise awareness, so I’ve been helping to support the current conversation about EPA’s proposed standards on carbon pollution for existing power plants in the US. It’s exciting to know that everyone in this country has the opportunity to comment on rules like this and that their voices are an important part of the rule making process.

I’m committed to applying my knowledge of public health and lessons learned during my coursework and internship to help educate those around me, especially the most vulnerable in my local community in Guinea.

About the author: Salimatou Pratt is a fall intern with EPA’s Office of Public Engagement and is graduating from The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. She is planning to further the conversation about the environment in her home town of Conakry, Guinea.

2 thoughts on “Salimatou Pratt ’13: Putting Theory into Practice at the EPA