3 Chefs Talk French Cuisine

Nature Morte de Fruits et de Fruits de Mer by Cornelis de Heem Photo by: Chloé Landrieu Murphy
Nature Morte de Fruits et de Fruits de Mer by Cornelis de Heem
Photo by: Chloé Landrieu Murphy

The following is an exploration of the French restaurant and  culinary world as seen by 3 noted chefs. Nicole Chapuisat also called La Femme Chocolat, is a swiss born chocolate and pastry chef that now resides in France, Jérôme Roy, originally from Tours is a Michelin starred executive chef at Le Cloître, in the Luberon, Daniel Minet is the youngest Michelin starred chef of the guides 2010 release.

What inspired you to become a chef?

Nicole: My maternal grandmother was the wife of a farmer and wine maker and was passionate about cuisine and pastries. She only used food from their land and transformed it into magnificent things. With one simple ingredient she could make something beautiful and delicious! It was magical! She used everything, no waste. She made me love eating well, I thank her for me working in the world of pastries and sweets.

Jérôme: I was born in the countryside where my mom cooked with fresh produce from the farm for a family of 7 children, being the youngest I grew up in the kitchen with her. I’ve also always loved the art of hosting and setting a beautiful table, I think everyone is born with a mission in life..

Daniel: I am a person that uses my hands, I love art and I love creating, that’s why I gravitated towards cuisine that is more gastronomic.

How would you describe your cooking?

Nicole: As pastries. A cuisine of quality as opposed to quantity.

Jérôme: Its a cuisine based around terroir laden products that I work with respect and take to a new level, I tell my own story through them.

Daniel: I would describe my cooking as one from the heart, creative and flavorful.

What inspires you?

Nicole: Books, chefs, images, colors, words, ingredients, objects.

Jérôme: A good natural product, a vegetable growing in my garden, traveling.

Daniel: There are a lot of things that can inspire a chef, you have to be curious and always on the lookout for new discoveries and ingredients. The simple act of going to the market is a great source of inspiration for me.

Do you have distinct childhood memories tied to food?

Nicole: Oh yes! My mom had her pineapple tarte, her diplomate, her apple tarte (with lard in the crust, its so good), her jams, her sweet and her savory french toast, her tongue with capre sauce, her vaudois sausage and her apple sauce, her sausage with cabbage, but what I liked the most was her grain salad with her apple cake (so good!) but i’ll stop there! There’s still more to say.

Jérôme:The smell of freshly harvested produce from the garden and  pâté de campagne fresh out of the oven

Daniel: Yes, It was very hard to get me to eat when I was a kid, paradoxically I became a chef.

What changes have you noticed in the culinary movements of the last 5 years?

Nicole: There has been a shift that has brought chefs towards a more regionally focused and often lighter cuisine, more regional, more seasonal, more real tastes and values. There have also been enormous advancements in the artistry of plating food, it’s a whole art within itself. When culinary advancements are made in France they’re often very influential across the globe.

Jérôme: Molecular cuisine isn’t everything anymore, we’re returning to cuisine with an emphasis on terroir. Lots of people are into detox cuisine right now but in my opinion its not always healthy.

Daniel: Food has never been as much in the media as it is today! And people are becoming more and more demanding. Cuisine evolves very very fast, as a chef you constantly have to evolve what you’re doing to keep it with the time.

What do you think the importance of cuisine is in French culture?

Nicole: It’s important in the sense that we have beautiful regions, excellent products, a climate that varies throughout the country and gives us magnificent and indulgent things like olive oil, foie gras, honey, chocolate, wines, fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, herbs, spices etc! For me made in France is important  and we need more enthusiasm surrounding it. We are rich in our French culture, and that should be respected. Even if i’m only French by heart.

Jérôme: Cuisine is an integral part of French culture. Good food and the pleasure of sharing it is a representation of savoir-vivre and respect for other humans. It’s also a cuisine that’s recognized worldwide.

Daniel: It’s something to be very proud of, regardless of everything going on these days in France, we absolutely have to preserve it. French cuisine is a giant source of inspiration for chefs all over the world because of the quality associated with it. With the wine produce and specialties here we have good reason to be proud.

Why is cuisine important to you? 

Nicole: Its important to me because it allows me to voyage through taste, colors and discover.

Jérôme: I have been passionate about cuisine since the age of 10 and I find enormous pleasure in creating new tastes, it feels good to share them with clients and with friends.

Daniel: It’s a job with limitless creativity, where creation is ceaseless. I love surprising people and making them happy.