- Welcome and Faculty Introductions (MH, CL, JBC)
- Introduction to MES, core programs, and gCORE (MH)
- Program Web Site and Documents (Syllabus, Readings, Schedule-at-a-Glance, Student Information Sheet) – see Docs (pulldown menu)
- Expectations (Incl: Seminar and Weekly writing, longer papers, Portfolio and Student Research Assignment)
- Seminar faculty assignments
- Field Trips – Weeks 2 (CL) and 3 (JBC))
- Thursday Reading & Writing Assignment (CL)
- Preparation for Thursday Professional Web Site Workshop
- Evergreen accounts
- 7:30: Break!
- 8-9:30: Student Introductions.
- 6pm: Computer Center: Workshop on Your WordPress WebSite: 2617 (Windows) and 2619 (Mac Lab)
- 8:15: Empirical vs. Review papers (Carri)
- Judy will be attending the Environmental Information Management Conference and a DataONE (Data Observation Network for Earth) Workshop, both in Santa Barbara.
- Martha will be attending the Association for Pacific Coast Geographers annual meeting in San Francisco.
Reading (due Tuesday): read the MES Student Handbook.
Reading (due Thursday):
Assignments (due Thursday in class):
- Week 1 Writing Assignment gCORE
- Bring your completed Student Information Sheet!
- Bring Completed Field Trip Waiver
- Bring a preliminary design for your professional web site, personal and professional information to put on the site, and a few photos.
Tues, Sept. 27, 5-5:45pm, MES Reception/Snack Time, Grad Lounge, Lab I, 3rd Floor; Bring a Snack to Share! MES provides beverages
Thurs, Sept. 29, 4:30-5:30pm; Sem II A1105, MES Thesis Presentation, Solar Photovoltaics Usage Among California Homeowner by Aaron Litwak