Read BelowUSGBC’s Center for Green Schools is currently seeking a Capacity Organizer to work with program staff from June through September 2012 to build capacity around the first ever Green Apple Day of Service.
The Green Apple Day of Service will take place on September 29, 2012, and will engage individuals, companies and organizations from across the country and around the world in taking real action in communities to support healthy, sustainable schools. The Green Apple Day of Service Capacity Organizer is a short-term temporary position that will work with program staff to build the capacity for thousands of people to organize service activities for Green Apple Day of Service through community and volunteer organizing.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Majority of time spent will be in direct contact with potential volunteers for the Day of Service
- Work with program staff to design and implement a capacity building plan around Green Apple Day of Service
- Work with program staff on community outreach to build strong relationships and commitments to organizing Green Apple Day of Service events
- Work with program staff to develop and implement strategies to advance grassroots organizing skills among USGBC local chapters, student group volunteers and participating schools and campuses
- Organize and support community volunteers in holding successful service activity events on September 29 for Green Apple Day of Service
- Conduct trainings for Green Apple Day of Service participants to help build their capacity to organize volunteers and successful service activities
Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Ability to commit 40 hours/week from May throughout the end of September 2012
- Experience in grassroots initiatives and/or community organizing
- Strong organizational, leadership and project management skills
- Knowledge and experience in working on sustainability initiatives
- Motivated and goal oriented
- Committed and passionate about the Center’s mission to transform our schools into healthier, safer, more cost-efficient and productive learning places
Please submit resume and letter of interest, with salary requirements and title of position applying for, via email to email@example.com or fax to 202-478-5046, attn: Human Resources. Please indicate where you saw the posting for this opportunity. No phone calls please.