FLSA: Full time, Salaried/Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Green Infrastructure
SUMMARY: The Environmental Services Assistant implements the community based environmental programs for The Greening of Detroit. The Environmental Services Assistant will plan, teach and implement water quality programming such as Downspout Disconnect, Raingarden development and Rainbarrel construction with a diverse group of residents throughout the city of Detroit.
- Plan, teach and implement Environmental programming in select neighborhoods.
- Develop program curriculum.
- Schedule community meetings with neighborhood associations.
- Conduct program workshops in focus areas.
- Manage phone bank and track workshop attendance
- .Serves as the Greening’s Community Liaison for Environmental programsCooperate with Greening staff to distribute plant material and resources as neededCoordinate program development between Greening of Detroit field departments.
- Distribute program supplies and manage budget to meet program targetsWork with Community Engagement Coordinator to identify neighborhood organizations.
- Provides instruction at Greening educational programs in coordination with Environmental Education Manager.
- Assists in all other tasks involved with the promotion, operation and support of The Greening of Detroit as directed by the President of The Greening of Detroit.
- Assist Director of Green Infrastructure, Remediation manager and Maintenance supervisor as neededFacilitate positive relationships with City department personnel and community partnerships
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Education or Environmental Science or a related field .
- Previous work experience relating to teaching volunteers and leading community groups is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of planting and maintaining native landscapes, grading, small scale hydrology, soils, and small scale construction is preferred.
- Be an independent worker with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Possess good writing and communication skills.
- Proficiency in the usage of Microsoft Office suite programming.
- Have strong professionalism with a demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people and a genuine appreciation for the urban environment.
Organization Website: http://greeningofdetroit.com/