About the Internship
IT Services is seeking a qualified and enthusiastic individual to be a GIS Intern. The City of Olympia has a number of data collection projects that require field collection, computer input, and editing. The GIS intern will play a key role in managing and processing data from GPS data collection devices into centralized data stores. This internship will last from October 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Interest to learn routine to moderately complex GIS analytical and geo-processing functions, including input, editing, manipulation, management, analysis and output of spatial and tabular data sets within ESRI’s ArcGIS software.
- Ability to work with general supervision and relative independence; exercising independent judgment and initiative within established policies, guidelines, and accepted practices.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions, and move around an urban environment, including stairs.
- Provide field research to obtain and verify GIS Data using handheld devices.
- Input and edit data in an ArcGIS software and database environment.
- Maintain high data quality assurance and quality control standards.
- Research and digitize a variety of archived paper sources.
- Design new databases and application to collect and store previously un-stored data.
- Collect and implement requirements from various staff members.
- Train employees on how to use new applications.
- Current college student majoring in a field/industry that uses GIS as a tool.
- Possession of valid Washington State Driver’s License or evidence of equivalent mobility required.
If you are interested in this position, please contact David Kuhn by email email@example.com; please include a brief description of your qualifications and interest. If you have any questions regarding this posting please phone David Kuhn at (360) 753-8212.