To see more apply see the full job posting.
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) provides solid waste and drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses, and drinking water for the 1.3 million regional customers both in Seattle and the 26 municipalities and special water districts also served by the Utility. “Our Promise” (Download PDF reader) to the community is to deliver efficient and forward-looking utility services that keep Seattle the best place to live. Our customers depend on us to be there for them – to deliver utility services reliably and to spend their dollars wisely.
SPU has an opportunity for an Associate Environmental Analyst to perform gas system maintenance activities related to gas probes and groundwater extraction networks at Kent Highlands, Midway, and historic landfills. This position is member of a team that creates optimum conditions at the multiple closed super-fund landfill sites in order to comply with all regulatory agency’s requirements. This position reports to a Landfill Manager.
Landfill Gas Work:
- Calibrate and maintain gas measuring instruments
- Collect gas well and probe data at landfills each month and input the data into the Landfill Data Management System
- Ensure that all environmental sampling is conducted on schedule and within established protocols
- Adjust well field and gas collection facilities based on system evaluation.
Landfill Water Work:
- Calibrate and maintain water testing instruments
- Measure groundwater and oil levels at the extraction and groundwater wells
- Collect, test and document groundwater, leachates, and surface water samples
- Prepare chain of custody documentation and deliver samples to Water Quality Lab
- Ensure that all site maintenance and inspections are conducted in accordance established protocols
- Ensure that all environmental sampling is conducted on schedule and within established guidelines and policies.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in natural or physical sciences, environmental sciences, planning (with emphasis on environmental issues), public administration/policy (with emphasis on natural resources), or related field
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in environmental research, environmental law, impact analysis, environmental compliance, toxic substance management, or a related field
Experience and Education Equivalency: Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
Licensing and/or Other Requirements:
- Valid Washington State Driver License in order to operate a City vehicle to travel to and from landfills
- Successful candidate must complete Hazardous Waste Operations and Respirator training courses within six (6) months of hire.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- The majority of the work is performed in the field at the landfills and the rest in a normal City office/work environment
- Occasional exposure to gases, chemicals, and other conditions requiring safety precautions.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of environmental sampling and testing with an emphasis on landfill and/or groundwater
- A mechanical understanding of flare system
- Ability to work effectively on a team or independently in remote locations
- Experience analyzing complicated data.
SPU’s safety program requires a pre-employment medical assessment as a condition of employment in this position.
At Seattle Public Utilities, our job is to protect the area’s quality of life. We pledge to meet community and environmental needs by:
- Maintaining some of the nation’s best drinking water
- Preventing sewer backups, flooding, and landslides
- Helping Seattle residents and businesses be recycling leaders
- Protecting local waterways and the Sound from sewage overflows and polluted stormwater runoff.
We do this while always keeping in mind that we need to spend customers’ money wisely.
We are also making sure that as Seattle grows, it’s even better for future generations. A place where:
- Less garbage is shipped to the landfill
- The drinking water is protected
- Utility infrastructure is well-built and maintained
- And where salmon thrive in healthy waterways.