The Marine Programs Outreach Coordinator will work with Marine Science and affiliated faculty and staff to develop a formal outreach program that serves UNE students and the community. The Coordinator will mentor UNE marine science, marine affairs, marine entrepreneurship, and aquaculture & aquarium science students in all informal community science education and other experiential education activities. The Coordinator and his/her undergraduate mentees will develop and deliver marine themed lessons to audiences of all ages, give research tours, develop long-term monitoring projects involving the community, and raise UNE’s profile in the region by communicating the exciting and ongoing projects happening at the Marine Science Center. Through these experiences, UNE students will gain real and marketable science communication skills and community connections while earning their formal degree.
The Marine Programs Outreach Coordinator will develop new collaborative proposals to federal, state and philanthropic organizations that would help fund UNE’S marine science center outreach and experiential education activities. The Coordinator will also work with other entities on campus, including the Offices of Admissions and Communications to increase awareness of our programs to prospective and accepted students, the local community and to gain more national recognition.
• Develop and maintain a dynamic outreach program that includes interactions with K-12 schools, community groups, science education institutions (Science Centers, Institutes, Aquariums, etc.), community colleges, etc.
• Recruit, supervise, and mentor undergraduate students in the area of informal education/experiential education/outreach/communication of scientific information to the community.
• Teach existing summer Early College marine course(s). Develop (and teach if appropriate) new summer and other short courses.
• Serve as a point person to organize, develop a database for, and assess all UNE marine science outreach activities.
• Assist in student recruitment and retention by working with UNE Admissions and Office of Student Affairs to offer hands-on experiences at the Marine Science Center.
• Initiate a long term ecological monitoring project using “citizen scientists” from the community.
• Lead all activities for the National Ocean Science Bowl when it is at UNE and assist in planning and implementation of the Northeast Undergraduate Research Symposium (NURDS).
• Develop effective methods of communicating the diverse array of marine research conducted at UNE to prospective students and the local, regional, and national community at large.
• Raise awareness of UNE Marine Programs regionally and nationally
• Serve as a Liaison between Marine faculty/staff and the Office of Communications
• Lead the development of new collaborative proposals to fund UNE marine outreach (education and research) activities. Potential funding sources include federal agencies (NSF, NOAA, NIH, USDA, etc.), state agencies and philanthropic organizations.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director of the UNE Marine Science Center.
Master’s Degree in Science, Science Education, Environmental Education, or a related field with three to four years’ experience or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired. Bachelor’s degree acceptable provided sufficient experience has been acquired.
• Knowledge of marine organisms, ecosystems, and marine research.
• Demonstrated experience in K-12 education or informal education setting
• Demonstrated educational leadership and organizational skills.
• Outstanding verbal, written, and communication skills.
• Prior experiences in grant writing and management from external funding sources a plus.
• Prior experiences in budget management preferred.
• Proven ability to collaborate and interact effectively with a wide range of administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as the local community in carrying out the varied responsibilities of the position.
• Previous experience with UNE as an employee or student preferred.
Apply and see more details at the following link: https://une.peopleadmin.com/postings/4418