Please see the following websites for full job posting and application link: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518792300
Application open: 12/07/2018 to 12/21/2018
Explore a new career with the BLM – where our people are our greatest natural resource.
For additional information about the BLM, please visit Our website.
All positions may not be filled or they may be filled at different times depending on budget, hiring needs, and requirements. These positions are temporary and are expected to last approximately 6 months. These positions have no promotion potential.
These positions are located at the Eagle Lake Field Office in Susanville, California.
Cartographic Technicians operate computer equipment to prepare conventional maps, graphs, and illustrations. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Performs automated or manual digitizing to convert data into the Geographic Information System (GIS) database.
- Create plotted maps using automated systems and software such as ARC/INFO and ARCVIEW.
- Prepares conventional maps, graphs, and illustrations using traditional cartographic methods and automated systems.
- Collect, appraise, and select source material and other data for map construction, such as transferring data to common scales, computing angles and closure, plotting positions, delineating details, contours, constructing original drawings, reviewing maps or charts, compiling map and chart details from surveys, existing maps, and other data including aerial photographs.
- Translates field data into both maps and documents to create special presentation maps delineating physical location and description.
- Uses standard procedures to extract information from field notes such as distances, angles, and bearings to convert into graphic presentations
Duties for this position are mostly sedentary; however, some lifting, bending, and carrying are required to move and service equipment, handle source materials and supplies. Work requires a marked degree of hand-eye coordination, dexterity, and concentration and involves regular and recurring periods of prolonged sitting at drafting light tables, digitizing tables, and computer work stations. Work is performed in an office or similar setting but may require some field work where there may be exposure to rain, heat, and cold.
Occasional travel – Travel may be required to attend training, meetings, or to perform field work.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Security Clearance/Background Investigation is required.
- You cannot hold an active real estate license, nor can you have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Land.
- Direct Deposit required.
- A valid state driver’s license.
- Read the “How to Apply” & “Required Documents” sections.
Candidates must meet all qualification requirements as identified in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook. Your resume must contain enough information to show that you meet the specialized experience as defined in the announcement. In addition, your responses to the questions must be adequately reflected in your resume. If qualifying based on education, you must submit a copy of your transcripts.
In order to be rated as qualified for this position, we must be able to determine that you meet the qualification requirement. Please be sure to include this information in your resume.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS- 6 level. Examples of specialized experience may include performing cartographic drafting and illustration work. Extracting information from field notes or surveys to prepare various graphic materials. Utilizing numerical data recorded in field notes to convert information into graphic presentations. Experience in cartography or in a related field such as photogrammetry or geodesy, where the work required similar knowledge and skills; OR Successful completion of one full academic year of graduate education related to the occupation; OR A combination or experience and education to meet total experience.
This position may require the operation of a motor vehicle on both public and private roads during daylight hours and occasionally after dark. A valid state driver’s license is required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Resumes must show relevant experience and other information. Your resume must list your education and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week and salary information. Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). You are welcome to submit a cover letter (optional).
In addition to the online application (resume and responses to the questionnaire), you are required to submit the following forms:
1. A copy of your college transcript(s), if qualifying based on education or a combination of education and experience. If selected for this position you will be required to provide an original copy of your transcripts.
2. Veterans’ Preference: If you are entitled to veterans’ preference, you should indicate the level of veterans’ preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans’ preference entitlement will be adjudicated (verified) by the employing agency using the documents you provide.
- For 0-point Sole survivorship veterans’ preference (SSP), please provide the documentation you received granting this preference.
- For 5-point veterans’ preference, please provide your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that proves your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
- For 10-point veterans’ preference, please submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, DD-214, and the required documentation.
For more information on which type of preference is applicable please visit VetGuide.
3. Any certifications (such as First Aid certifications) required for the position. Requirements to submit additional documents may be stated in the job related questions.
4. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): CTAP provides eligible surplus and displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. Information about CTAP/ICTAP eligibility is available from OPM’s Career Transition Resources website at CTAP or ICTAP. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration or that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) This vacancy is within your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility; 2) You apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) You are found well qualified for this vacancy. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, or a copy of your separation personnel action form. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles will be considered well qualified if they fall within the Well or Best Qualified categories on the rating criteria for this position.Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) eligibles: documentation verifying your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility – this includes a copy of the agency notice and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to illustrate that all eligibility requirements are met. This includes ensuring your resume / application documents specific information on each employment listed. Specifically, you must document Agency/Company Name, supervisor’s name and contact information, position title, grade/series/salary, and employment dates to include month, day and year. Failure to do so may result in your application being disqualified. If you have questions regarding the necessary documentation to include, contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement prior to the closing date of the announcement.
How to Apply
To receive consideration for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package, which includes ALL of the following items: 1. Your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire; 2. Your resume; and 3. Applicable supporting documents specified in the Required Documents section of this job announcement.
Click on the button “Apply Online” and login to MY USAJOBS.
If you haven’t already registered with USAJOBS, the system will require you to create a user name and password, complete a questionnaire and upload, paste or type a resume into USAJOBS.
If you have already registered with USAJOBS and forgot your login information, select the “Did you forget your username and/or password” link from the right side menu.
Your application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time by the closing date of this announcement.
If you need assistance in applying on-line, please contact Jessica Baker at email@example.com. If applying on-line poses a hardship for you (i.e. you do not have access to the internet) you must contact us prior to the closing date of the announcement for an alternative method of applying.
Agency contact information