The Adopt-A-Stream Foundation (AASF) is a private non-profit corporation. Its mission is “to teach people how to become stewards of their watersheds.” That mission is carried out by: producing environmental education materials, conducting Streamkeeper Academyclasses, and providing local communities stream and wetland restoration technical assistance.
To expand its mission capabilities, the AASF is developing the Northwest Stream Center (NWSC) – a place where up to 45,000 visitors a year will learn the interconnections between forests, wetlands, streams, fish, wildlife and people.
Recently, the NWSC opened to the public for guided and unguided tours on a ½ mile long Nature Walk that includes an outdoor Trout Stream Exhibit and Elevated Boardwalk. In addition, a Nature Store has just opened in the Visitors Building and the website is being upgraded to include e-commerce. Our long-term goal is to be open to the public six-days-a-week.
In addition, the AASF is a licensed and bonded contractor specializing in stream and wetland restoration projects such as restoring riparian zones, bio-engineering solutions to stream bank erosion problems, and creating new in-stream fish habitat.
Now being recruited is a part time BOOKKEEPER/ACCOUNTANT who is enthusiastic about helping the AASF grow and succeed in carrying out its mission. You will work with a small professional staff of 10 and several volunteers. Everyone chips in to do all tasks as necessary. Also, you can expect to work occasionally on weekends or evenings for special events – and have some fun! The NWSC is a great place to work.
Starting salary is $18 to $20 per hour; 25 hours per week with a flexible work schedule option. In addition, upon successful completion of a 6-month probationary period, the successful candidate will receive a monthly employer contribution to a Simplified Employee Pension Plan that is 12% of salary; and 4-hours of vacation and 4-hours paid sick leave per month. AASF contributes to the Washington State Paid Family Leave fund for all employees
Job responsibilities include:
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Manage payroll submittals (note: a payroll service is employed)
- Calculate and file B & O taxes
- Reconcile accounts
- Create accounting reports
- Prepare Income Statements and Balance Sheets for internal use and Board Meetings
- Prepare Budgets
- Track Capital Assets and Depreciation Schedules
- Process journal entries
- Maintain inventory counts
- Prepare for Annual Financial Audit and Prepare 990 Tax Forms
- Provide salary data for Annual Insurance Audit
- Reconcile monthly bank statements
- Reconcile petty cash and take cash deposits to the bank
- Other accounting duties as required
- Provide back up assistance for Administrative Services Manager for office duties and Streamkeeper Academy functions.
- Help develop in house procedures for accounting and personnel matters
- Some experience in the use of QuickBooks for Business software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook/Entourage); note: the Adopt A Stream Foundation uses Apple and PC platforms.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles and guidelines
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Self motivated and extremely detailed oriented
- Able to identify problems and solve them
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Multi-task effectively
Not Required but Preferred Knowledge/Experience:
- Experience using Square point of sale systems
- Experience with non-profit accounting
- Experience working in an environmental education facility, zoo or aquarium
- Knowledge of NW ecology and enthusiasm for the great outdoors!
Minimum: Associate’s Arts degree in accounting or business administration with 5 years experience; A bachelor’s degree in Accounting with required skills posted above may substitute for required experience.
Application Procedures: Send a brief cover letter explaining how your education, experience and skills will help AASF grow and expand its mission capabilities at the newest environmental learning facility in the Pacific Northwest, and a complete resume to: Accountant Selection Committee, Adopt A Stream Foundation, 600 – 128thStreet SE, Everett WA 98208. Applications must be received by Friday January 11, 2019 at 4:30 pm.
Please no telephone calls.