it is our pleasure to announce that registration for the 16th annual Summer Academy ‘Energy and the Environment’ is now open! The theme this year is Social innovation in the energy transition: Empowering people through climate action. The interdisciplinary 5-day long Summer Academy will sketch a roadmap to a citizen-centric low-carbon future. The Academy will start broad from the general international climate policy framework down to national policy. It will put a spotlight on the difficulties that the German energy transition currently faces and the different forms and examples of citizen participation in the energy transition.
With over 25 nationalities attending last year, the Academy offers an international perspective on the major issues associated with the global energy transition. The program features workshops and visit to the energy self-sufficient village Feldheim, as well as a three-day conference program. The event also offers a social/evening program, ending with a festive barbecue in Berlin.
The Summer Academy admits 30 participants with academic and professional experience in the field. The program is rooted in policy as key driver of change, and offers a diverse and interdisciplinary perspective considering societal, technological and regulatory/economic elements. This interdisciplinary approach will be reflected in the selection of participants. Places are limited, we suggest to not wait too long to apply.
Complete registration before April 1, 2019 for an early-bird reduction of 10%! You can find an outline of the program below and more detailed information on our website. We look forward to hearing from you!
Monday 15 July – Welcome speech
- Introduction round of all participants
- Reception dinner
Tuesday 16 July – Roadmap for social innovation in the energy transition
- Energiewende: Decentralization of energy supply and the role of citizens and communities
- Participatory workshop: Social inclusion and financial engagement in the energy transition
Empowerment through ownership. Generation and grid distribution of renewable energies
Neue Energien Forum Feldheim
- Visit of Feldheim
Wednesday 17 July – Multi-level climate policy: Energy transition drivers and the inclusion of communities
- Welcome address
- Climate change: Status quo and the need for action
- Are we on track? Implementation of the Paris Agreement and the road ahead
- Climate and energy policy in the European Union: Keeping up with the times?
- Fostering social innovation: Reflection on regional and national policy frameworks
Thursday 18 July – Energy transition, everywhere. Harnessing the power of social innovation
- Keeping energy cooperatives and citizens at the heart of the energy transition – spotlight on Germany
- From energy co-ops to crowdfunding and shared mobility… An inventory of social innovation models
- Optimizing innovation and creativity: Gender equality and the energy transition
- Offshore wind energy, onshore community benefits: Case study on the Hiiumaa offshore wind park in Estonia
- Energy transition, everywhere: Development pathways for carbon intensive regions – spotlight in social impacts of the energy transition in the German coal region of Lusatia
- Participatory Workshop: Energy transition in carbon intensive regions: Decarbonization and social innovation roadmap
Friday 19 July – Sustainable cities and social innovation: Opportunities in the urban energy transition
- Sustainable cities: The power and potential of urban system transformation
- Blockchain: Connecting urban citizens with regional renewables
- Energy sector coupling in cities: Energy transition in the heat and power grid of Amsterdam
- Sharing is the new owning: Innovative and sustainable business models
- Discussion round with the speakers
- Conclusion of the Summer Academy 2019
- Goodbye barbecue for all participants and teaching faculty
IKEM is a non-profit research institute. The participation fees of the Academy have been significantly reduced to make participation in the Academy more financially accessible. The fees are used by IKEM to cover the operational costs of the event.
We look forward to your application!
The IKEM Summer Academy Team