Please see the following link: https://www.joshswaterjobs.com/jobs/14532?utm_source=Josh%27s+Water+Jobs+Weekly&utm_campaign=c4e7b1bdda-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_15_07_42&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_16490fec1f-c4e7b1bdda-226239503
We are seeking an effective communicator with a strong capacity for policy analysis for our Policy and Research Coordinator position. If you thrive in a fast-paced, mission driven environment, work well in a team and have a passion for growing and strengthening the environment movement in NSW, we encourage you to apply.
Supervisor: Campaigns Director. Contract period: 12-month contract – with likelihood of moving to permanent contract.
As Policy and Research Coordinator you will contribute to our strategic goals by:
- playing a lead role in our engagement with NSW environmental policy making and political decision makers;
- providing expert advice and support to staff, member groups, stakeholders and decision-makers; and
- positioning us as a leader in the development of environmental policy in NSW.
Nature Conservation Council of NSW (NCC) and the environment groups we represent have been winning protections for nature in NSW for more than 60 years. We’ve been at the centre of many of the state’s iconic conservation battles and have notched up countless wins for nature and local communities.
Today, we work to clean up the state’s dirty electricity system, end unsustainable tree-clearing on farms and in our forests, bring our rivers back to health, give marine life in our coastal waters the protection it deserves and provide leadership on fire policy, education and ecology.
We value diversity
NCC is an equal opportunity employer, we know our capacity to drive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We are committed to building on the perspectives, talent, experience, knowledge and skills that diversity brings to our organisation.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion and strongly encourage people of all cultures, genders, abilities, and experiences to apply.
About the position
Your key responsibilities as the Policy and Research Coordinator will be to:
- Work with Campaigns Director and CEO to determine NCC policy priorities;
- Develop and implement political strategies for priority campaigns;
- Prepare effective communications on our policy priorities for key stakeholders and members of Parliament;
- Conduct rapid response research into environmental issues to generate media stories and build the case for action;
- Build and maintain relationships with NSW and Federal politicians and bureaucrats;
- Prepare policy submissions;
- Recruit and supervise interns and volunteers;
- Foster relationships with experts, research institutions and NCC policy committees;
- Engage NCC members and stakeholders in policy and lobbying activities;
- Provide briefings and workshops on priority policies for members of the public, Parliament and bureaucrats;
- Prepare and submit funding proposals for policy and research activities; and
- Develop NCC policies as needed and manage business papers for NCC Annual Conference.
You may be required to perform other duties as directed from time to time to suit organisational requirements and which are broadly consistent with your role.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all the criteria listed below. Please indicate how your skills and experience may be applied to meet the objectives of this role.
Talent & Capabilities:
- Excellent research and writing capabilities, and strongly developed capacity for policy analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to lobby decision-makers to achieve outcomes.
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate stakeholders to reach consensus on policy issues.
Skills & Experience:
- Three years legislative or issue advocacy campaign experience with a political office, or not-for-profit or similar organisation.
- Demonstrated experience communicating complex policy details simply, in written and verbal formats.
Extra Points for:
- An understanding of NSW politics and developed political networks.
- Strong working knowledge of NSW environmental law and policy.
- Experience working with expert volunteers and grassroots groups.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in environmental planning, law, policy or science.
We value our people and recognise their individual needs. Some of the many benefits to being part of our team are:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Access to long service leave accruals after 5 years
- Salary sacrifice arrangements
- Cultural leave