Position Title: Education and Outreach Specialist
Designation: Full-time and part-time positions available
Start Date: August 2019 or when filled
Salary Range: $19.50-$22.50 DOE. Triangle offers a competitive benefits package for full-time employees.
Triangle Associates is seeking a Spanish-speaking educator to join the education team for work in King and Snohomish County schools. The ideal candidate must speak Spanish fluently, have experience working in diverse classrooms, and the ability to communicate sustainability concepts to a wide range of people. The ideal candidate will be familiar with incorporating environmental justice concepts, as well as diversity, equity, and inclusion principles into their daily work.
Environmental Education Programs (75%)
- •Present classroom workshops in schools throughout King and Snohomish Counties 3-4 days/week on a variety of environmental topics.
- •Prepare newsletter articles, lesson support and other written materials, as well as build and create interactive educational materials.
- •Revise and edit program scripts and materials to reflect the needs of diverse audiences.
- •Assist with administrative work, such as data entry and general office organization.
Technical Assistance (25%)
- •Assist school teams (teachers, students, principals, custodians, and parents) via in-person visits, phone and email, with implementing waste reduction and recycling, and energy and water conservation goals.
- •Assist student groups in planning and implementing “Green Team” projects.
- •Prepare detailed written communication following school site visits, waste audits and meetings, with strong attention to detail and professional writing capabilities.
- •Assist with custodial trainings and communicate with school district personnel to implement conservation practices at schools.
- •Minimum of two years’ experience working with young people ages 6-18 in a classroom setting or through an informal educator setting. Relevant volunteer experience may substitute for work experience.
- •Must be available to work during school hours with possible early travel start time, between 6 AM and 5 PM (and infrequent evenings or weekends as needed).
- •Ability to drive to schools throughout King and Snohomish counties. This includes a reliable car, valid Washington State driver’s license, clean driving record, and auto insurance covering bodily injury and property damage.
- •Clear, written, and verbal communication skills with attention to detail.
- •Ability to present and converse fluently in Spanish.
- •Excellent classroom management skills, including voice projection and ability to work under pressure in a school setting. Able to adapt teaching style for various ages and learning styles and present information in an engaging manner.
- •Demonstrated ability to work with diverse students and adults in a dynamic, respectful, creative, culturally-responsive, and enthusiastic way.
- •Excellent organizational and self-managing skills.
- •Skilled in utilizing Microsoft Office Suite-Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- •Bachelor’s Degree in environmental education or related field or equivalent experience.
- •Ability to pass a background check.
- •Ability to carry 30 lbs. of props and materials.
- •Background knowledge of and interest in learning more about resource conservation topics such as waste reduction, recycling, water conservation, watershed protection, and renewable energy.
- •Experience providing resource conservation technical assistance.
Since 1979, Triangle Associates has worked with communities, government leaders, and school districts to address ongoing natural resource, land use, and conservation challenges. We are a women-owned environmental consulting company known for innovative and responsive collaborative governance and engaging school-basededucation programs. Our services include facilitation, mediation, conflict resolution, public involvement, strategic planning, classroom education, community outreach, theatrical programs, curriculum development, teacher trainings, and more. Our clients are federal, state, tribal and local governments, private firms, school districts, non-profits, and communities. Triangle’s work is rooted in the belief that good information, genuine dialogue, and participatory problem-solving, among diverse people and interests, are the foundations of a healthy democracy and sustainable society.
Triangle is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. This includes addressing institutional racism and other forms of prejudice. This work is ongoing and continually adjusted to meet the needs of our staff and stakeholders. We value and welcome a diverse array of experiences. We seek employees who think critically about their own cultural lens and are able to communicate effectively with people of different backgrounds and abilities. An ideal candidate will be committed to providing equitable engagement to our school communities, stakeholders and clients.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line. Please highlight how your previous work experience and capabilities directly support the job responsibilities and your success at Triangle. Cover letters should additionally conclude with a brief bulleted response to the following four points:
- •Are you seeking full or part-time work or are you interested in either?
- •Describe your level of Spanish language proficiency and how many years you have been proficient.
- •Do you have a valid driver’s license and vehicle for school visits?
- •How did you learn about the position?
Triangle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. We strongly encourage and seek applications from individuals with a bilingual and/or bicultural background.