Description: The University of Washington’s Forest Resilience Lab seeks to hire 1 Crew Leader and 3 Field Technicians for the summer of 2020 to work in the Colville National Forest in northeastern Washington. Work will include:
- Measuring and mapping of restoration-oriented forest management practices.
- Spatial pattern mapping of recently thinned stands.
- Collect inventory data for restoration prescriptions and monitoring.
Qualifications: Positions are best suited to individuals that: have or are working toward a degree in forestry or environmental sciences; are interested in forest restoration; and have previous experience sampling vegetation. Candidates must be able to work as part of a 4 person team, solve problems with minimal supervision, and have high attention to detail. Candidates must be in good physical condition and able to work long hours in adverse weather and remote locations. Wilderness First Aid certification is a plus for Tech. position and required for Lead position. Wilderness First Responder certification is a plus for crew leader position.
Compensation: Crew Leader: $18-$23/hr DOE; Field Tech: $16.00‐$18.00/hr DOE; plus $20/workday food stipend.
Duration and schedule: Positions will start in late May or early June and last through August, 10 to 12 weeks, with the potential for continued work. Students whose school year ends in mid-June or starts in mid-August may still apply. Typical work week is 4-10s. The crew will camp for several days at a time near the sampling sites with intermittent access to amenities. The crew will be on their own on days off. Housing is not provided.
Application process: Application review will begin on Feb. 1, 2020. To apply, please submit the following via email:
- A cover letter (1 pg. max) describing your interest and qualifications
- Your dates of availability
- Contact information for 2-3 references who can speak to you intellectual engagement and ability to work with a team in a remote setting
- A resume or CV
To submit application or for more information:
Alina Cansler: firstname.lastname@example.org