- 6 medium-sized bell peppers (red or green)
- 2½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Start by preparing the peppers. Slice the top off each pepper about 1″ from the stem end, then remove any seeds or ribs left inside. If any of the peppers are a little crooked, slice a little off the bottom until they stand up straight. Arrange cut side up in a baking dish, and set aside.
3. Next, make the filling. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the canola oil. Add the onion and garlic in canola oil, and saute for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Stir in the rice, beans, tomato puree, chili powder and cumin, and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until everything is heated through.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, then season to taste with hot sauce, salt and pepper. Spoon the rice mixture into the peppers, making sure not to pack too tightly.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and continue baking for 5 minutes longer.