- 2 small eggplants
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ medium onion
- 3 garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 3 T fresh, chopped parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano, or ½ T fresh, chopped oregano
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 T whole grain breadcrumbs or panko (gluten free breadcrumbs will work just as well!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick each eggplant all over with a fork, and individually wrap in foil. [Leave the stems on.] Place on a cookie sheet and roast until soft, about an hour.
2. While eggplant is roasting, mince the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in the food processor. Place in a strainer and drain off excess liquid.
3. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium. Saute veggie mixture until soft, adding about 2T of broth at a time, as needed, about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. About halfway through, add the herbs.
4. When mixture is soft, add breadcrumbs and adjust seasonings.
5. Remove eggplants from oven. Carefully open the foil and allow to cool enough to handle. Carefully cut a slit in each eggplant from stem to bottom and let the steam escape. Sprinkle innards with a bit of salt and pepper.
6. When cool enough to handle, stuff each eggplant with the veggie mixture. Enjoy!