Eco Printing

Recently I’ve been experimenting with a new technique of printing using fallen leaves, items from the compost bin, seeds, and other organic matter. It’s actually a very simple process using a steam pot or roaster. The following prints are products of my two first experiments!

Directions:

1. Collect organic matter that you wish to print. I’ve found that brownish-red leaves work best and green leaves print least. Try to find a variety of different sizes, shapes, patterns, etc– you never know what will happen! When you’re out there collecting, don’t forget to marvel at this earth that we get to live in!
    image
  2. Cut out paper the same size that will fit in your steamer-pot (or, alternatively a roaster with a pan that you can boil water underneath). The whole thing has to be covered and sealed because this will steam for a long time. For the first experiment, I used about 20 sheets of paper. The second I used about 30. I also experimented using colored paper, as the colors tend to seep onto the next. (I tried using handmade paper, but it was not sturdy enough to live through the steaming process)
  3. Soak the paper in water for about 30 minutes. It’s best to place each paper in one-by-one, or else they will stick.
  4. Cut out 2 pieces of cardboard slightly larger than the paper. These will be the bread of the sandwich.
    image
  5. Remove the paper from the water and start stacking leaves between each sheet. If you don’t want both sides printed, put two sheets of paper between the leaves. I will be hanging my prints so I want both sides to be printed. Here’s your chance to feel like an artist in this process!
  6. Once everything is stacked, finish the sandwich by bundling it tight with string or rubber bands.
    image
  7.  Place the sandwich in the steamer and place a brick (or whatever) on top to weigh it down. Sometimes this weight can make the stems of leaves break into the paper, so if you don’t want that to happen, make sure you don’t have any pokey stems, or just throw your perfectionist ways out the window.
  8.  Steam that baby! It should cook for about two hours. I’ve done this about two hours before I go to bed, and then let it sit overnight to let it do its thing.
  9.  Remove the bundle and carefully take apart each sheet, revealing the magic. Throw those leaves out in the compost bin!
    image

Be First to Comment