Nusa Lembongan Field Trip

Water Star feat. Myself, Mari & Boarders by Carol

Every term, Student Village goes on an overnight field trip. This term we went to Nusa Lembongan, a small island on the southeast corner of Bali. We stayed there 4 days and 3 nights. It was a blast! We went banana boat-ing, cliff jumping, snorkeling (my first time!), and beaching.

One of the highlights of the trip was going on a tour through a Mangrove forest. I had actually never heard of them before. Luckily I was surrounded by educated and passionate Green School kids who filled me in on this incredible species. 

Mangroves are extremely productive ecosystems. They exist where ocean and freshwater meet, and they act as a  buffer between land and sea. They protect shorelines from erosion, serve as a habitat for all kinds of species, and are utilized as a renewable resource for water-resistant lumber. 

Going to Nusa Lembongan made me first-hand the impact of tourism on small islands and the need for balance between economy and environmental issues. It’s a shame that many of the mangrove forests, for instance, are being obliterated due to tourism. Increased traffic and importation without mindfulness will indeed threaten the integrity of ecological and societal cultures. I’d be interested in taking our students on more ecotouristic adventures where we can support local conservation and learn about the impact we have on “paradise.”

Post- Cliff Jump Celebration by Carol

Be First to Comment