The Old Department of Health Building

Three years ago, I was taking a drawing class, and in that class I was to make a series, a theme. Me being a person who likes aliens, came up with a story: aliens abduct humans and birds, switch their brains, and that leads to our demise. For my story/theme I needed reference photos of birds and abandoned buildings. Naturally I went downtown.

The old Department of Health Building, located between 4th and 5th ave. across from Bayview.

Today, this place looks different.

This is the same place I wrote my previous post, Floors, about. I mentioned how I love how empty it is, which is true. But I also loved that abandoned building.

I chose to use an abandoned building as a a visual in my series because it represents evidence of humanity without actual humans. Humans used this place, and we no longer do. One reason I am drawn to this place is because it is surrounded by humans, yet rejected by them. That building gave me comfort, but it outlived its use, survived for a bit, and was destroyed. I was not sad to see it destroyed, I was happy, I got what I needed from it, and for that I can still appreciate it as my place, but I don’t need it to be there.

You may also like...