So, I am officially studying abroad in not just Paris but in several other countries around Europe! I’ll be Flying into Dublin on the 15th of April. I originally chose to do this because it was several hundred dollars cheaper to fly into Dublin than it is to fly into Paris. But after giving it some thought I thought why not spend some time there. It’s a place I have always wanted to go to. Ill get to check out the pub scene and hear the music of Ireland, drink lots of great beer, hopefully meet some great people, and if I can find the time and transportation I would really love to go for at least one hike while Im there. It is an incredibly beautiful country and I have always wanted to hike around it. Ill be spending 5 nights there which should be enough time to see the city and maybe do some hiking.

(This is the hostel ill be staying at while in Dublin)

Isaacs Exterior

I am really excited about the hostel I will be staying at. It’s a ten minute walk from the city center. and they have guitars available to rent so I’ll be able to do some practicing! That is one of my biggest worries about this trip. Im not bringing my guitar because it seems like it will be far too much of a bother and I worry about it getting stolen or broken. So unless I can find music shops to practice in or stay in places that have guitars available to use I wont be playing much guitar. In looking for places to stay in paris through AirBnB I’ve found a few musicians who might be willing to share their instruments with me.

After a few nights in Dublin I’ll be taking an incredibly cheap flight (14 euro!) to Edinburgh, Scotland to stay for a whole week! Scotland is a place I have always dreamed of visiting and I am so unbelievably excited that that dream is coming true! All I want to do is see the beautiful old towns, hike around and take in the picturesque highlands, lowlands and ocean views, and taste as many different scotches as possible! Ill be spending a one night in Edinburgh, and the next in Glasgow. That should be as much time as I need to see the cities. Then I’ll bus up to Fort Williams and spend two full days exploring the countryside by foot. Then for the highlight of the tour I’ll be spending three nights on the Isle of Skye.

Tkq5eQs

On the 28th I will be taking a flight out of Edinburgh to Paris for my three week stay. In Paris I plan to do a lot of walking of the city. A big part of what I have taken from my time in Musical cities is you need to be aware as possible to learn as much as possible. Musically to me that means actually listening intently to as much music as possible and often as possible to gain a paris cafes 2better understanding of music and to grow a better ear for melody,harmony, and rhythm. When studying a city and its cultureI think the best way become aware of everything that makes a city what unique is to walk its streets and pathways. To look, listen and take not of as many things as possible. I’ll be sketching, and taking audio recordings and pictures. talking with folks and interviewing them about Parisian culture and what makes it unique. What I look forward to most is getting to see live musical performances, and hopefully getting to speak with local musician about how paris has influenced their music. Second to the music I think I’ll enjoy the Food and drink of Paris. The boulangaries, charcouteries, cafés, marchés, chocolaterie, and crêperies. Getting to spend my days sitting at cafés drinking coffee and wine and reading a wonderful book while eating the most delicious pastries in the world!

I know that there are very few things that could make that a bad trip and I am so freaking excited to go! But there is a small part of me that is worried about being alone for 5 weeks. I know that I wont be alone the whole time and I’ll meet plenty of people to spend time with. But it will be odd not actually knowing anyone for 5 whole weeks. I think that in itself will be an interesting social experiment. To see how I react and interact with others in that situation. Specially when I’ll be in a country where I am only say 30% comfortable with the language. I took four years of French in high school and a quarter here at Evergreen but its been almost two years since I have actually studied. So to help get back into it I’ve been watching French films and using a nifty little Iphone application call Duolingo. It is actually really great and I feel like I will be somewhat conversational by the time Im in Paris. All I really need to know is how to greet people, ask for directions, and order a drink anyways right?

For those of you reading this who have been to any of these countries and have any connections or ideas on what to do while there please leave comments! I would love to learn as much as I can before I leave!

Week 1: April 12 – 18

I’ll be in Olympia for half the week and then I’ll head up to Seattle to hang out with friends before I fly out of SeaTac on the 15th. Ill land in Dublin at 10 in the morning and will be spending 5 nights there.

Reading: Making Jazz French: Music and Modern Life in Interwar Paris, by Jeffrey H. Jackson

Week 2: April 19 – 25

I’ll be flying to Scotland for the week!

Reading: Gypsy Jazz, by, Michael Dregni

(Itinerary for my Scotland tour)

IMG_1341 11.26.28 PM

Week 3: April 26 – May 2

I fly to Paris on the 29th. I’ll be getting settled into the city and my place and just exploring Paris by foot.

Reading: The Flaneur: A Stroll through the Paradoxes of Paris, by, Edmond White

Invisible Cities, by, Italo Calvino (chapters 1-3)

Week 4: May 3 – 9

Plan on renting a nice road bike one for a couple days and riding out to some chateau and doing a wine tasting and staying in the country for the night. www.parisbikeco.com is where I pan to get my bike from fro about 40 euro a day.

Reading: Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris, by, A.J. Liebling

Invisible Cities, by, Italo Calvino (chapters 4-6)

Week 5: May 10 – 15

Go to the opera, musical, or play.

Reading: A Moveable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway 

Invisible Cities, by, Italo Calvino (chapters 7-9)

Week 6: May 17 – 23

Fly back to Dublin on the evening of the18th and then fly to Seattle on the 19th. Ill spent the rest of the week resting and working on my presentation for class.

Reading: Finish A Moveable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway

My Home

FullSizeRender