There are a million thing I need to do to get ready for this trip, and one of them (one that I think is the most important to me getting the most out of my travels and really growing from this trip) is to prepare myself mentally for what is to come. Alain de Botton does a wonderful job in his book, The art of Travel of reminding me that it’s not necessarily the place I’m going to that will have such a great impact on my life but the way I treat the trip itself. While preparing myself for a trip to Paris, It’s been hard not to create these huge expectations of what it will be like and how this incredibly romantic city will change my life forever just because it is the romantic city that it is. I have dreamed of this for years and built up in my mind what it will be like to walk the old cobblestone streets and experience the Parisian culture. How romantic it will be and how much it will change me. But unless I am in the right state of mind while i’m actually there, I won’t take hardly anything away from this trip and I could possibly have a pretty lame time. De Botton gives us in each chapter of The art of Travel, tools for helping us truly see and feel the spaces we inhabit as we travel.

Expectation is the bane of all travel, and the downfall of all relationships really. (And what are we put of this earth for if not to build beautiful relationships with other human beings? So we better figure out how to make them work.) Expectation is what allows our ego to overshadow love and understanding. If I expect Paris to be a certain way, and when I get there and it’s not that way, I will be disappointed because my ego won’t allow for any understanding of why Paris isn’t that way. But If I just desire for Paris to be a certain way without any expectation of it fulfilling my every desire I will be able to just be present and just enjoy the way things are. I’ll allow for differences in what way I viewed the city before I’m actually there to become something much more beautiful.

My biggest expectation at this moment is that everything will be perfect and beautiful in Paris and I will never have a moment of let down or unhappiness. That just isn’t a realistic view of anyplace in the world. No matter how beautiful or romantic. “We are sad at home and blame the weather or the ugliness of the buildings, but on the tropical island we learn that the state of the skies and the appearance of our dwellings can never on their own either underwrite our joy or condemn us to misery. This explains why people are happy even in Winnipeg and unhappy even in Tahiti” (The art of Travel). It’s not the city itself that will make me happy, but the way I interact with the city. If I chose to not interact with the city and not allow it to teach me I could find myself with a “strong wish to remain in bed and take the next flight home” (The art of Travel).

Looking forward to this trip I hope to allow this journey to open me up to some wonderful internal conversation. De Botton says in his book, “Journeys are the midwives of thought. A great desire of mine is to be sitting at some quaint cafe on a Parisian street corner and have a new and wonderful thought or idea pop into my head. Weather that be an interesting melody or chord progression to use in my music, or some philosophical idea I am reading about in one of my texts to just make sense. What would be really great is that though my travels I would be able to understand or come up with something I would be able to share with you through this blog and though my life and relationships when I get home. I am traveling to this city to try and better understand what makes it’s music unique. Sure I could do a bunch of reading and listening here in my bedroom in Olympia and gain a good understanding of what makes the sound of Paris so unique. But I believe, as well as De Botton, that it’s the journey and the experience of actually being in that place that will stimulate my mind to help me better understand Parisian music.